Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Frost School violinist reunites with childhood idol

Joshua Bell is an award-winning, world-renowned violinist who visited the University of Miami’s Gusman Concert Hall to perform at the annual Festival Miami showcase on Oct. 4.

While most students were excited to be seated in the same auditorium as the bona fide musician, for freshman Elijah Kirkland-Andrews, the evening was a heartwarming reunion.

When Andrews was 5 years old, he played the violin for Bell at Montclair State University in New Jersey.

“I took lessons there, and somehow my teacher I think knew [Bell],” Andrews remembered. “I only played ‘Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,’ because it was the only thing I could play at that point.”

Andrews believes it was either his teacher or mother who took the photo of Bell hugging the 5-year-old Andrews. Both were grinning.

“It was in 2000, and I don’t even remember if he played anything,” Andrews said. “I vaguely remember taking the photo, but I do remember putting on that silver clip tie because it was the first time I ever wore a tie.”

Over the next 13 years, Andrews continued taking violin lessons.

After all, Bell began taking lessons when he was 5 too.

“I never wanted to be a violinist,” Andrews said. “I wanted to be an astronaut, I had a phase when I wanted to be a stock broker, and then I wanted to be a basketball player. But really I didn’t take anything else seriously.”

After attending a music camp the summer before his sophomore year of high school, Andrews began pursuing the string instrument more intently.

He placed the crinkled photo of himself and Bell in his violin case for luck and inspiration.

In high school, Andrews was Georgia’s all-state best player in chorus and orchestra.

He played at Emory University’s youth orchestra with jazz and classical tunes as his focus.

Last spring, Andrews was accepted to the Frost School of Music.

And 13 years later at the Festival Miami showcase, Andrews, now 18, arranged to see Bell.

He showed his violin idol the photo, who laughed and recalled the evening.

“We only talked for two minutes about the picture,” Andrews said. “But he was shocked. It’s a small world.”

That night, Bell and Andrews took another photo that mimics the first.

Bell embraced Andrews who was almost two feet taller than the one in 2000.

But like the original, both Bell and Andrews are smiling.

Jess Swanson

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...