Football, Opinion

Free football games dismiss guilt of leaving early

MUG_JordanCoyne

Jordan Coyne

It’s a sad sight to see an empty football stadium, especially when the team is ranked No. 7 in the nation. But in a city that will rave all night and still leave early from dreamed-about events like Ultra, is this really a surprise?

Students will pay immense amounts to go to concerts and festivals all over South Florida, while athletic events at the University of Miami are free with a Cane Card. Even though they pay for the former and not the latter, students still leave early from both.

I, just like the next student, bleed orange and green, hate UF and FSU, and live for C-A-N-E-S spell outs; however I, like a large portion of students, often don’t stay for the entire game. Miami is a hot and humid city known for its heaps of traffic. Those factors alone could convince a number of people to leave early, and the fact that students don’t pay anything for games only dismisses any sentiments of guilt.

Although athletic events are most likely paid for in students’ tuition, they cannot opt out of receiving these benefits. A concert, on the other hand, is a personal expense. At the end of the day, attending entertainment events ­– sports, music or otherwise – is a choice. So while it would be nice to have a sea of orange to cheer on the Canes at every single home game, it is simply not the culture of Miami.

Jordan Coyne is a sophomore majoring in journalism and international studies.

Jordan Coyne

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...