Four years don’t always center around sports

New Student Orientation barrages recently arrived students – both freshmen and transfers – with University of Miami traditions after traditions. A flurry of C-A-N-E-S spell outs, chants and cheers introduced me to the spirited UM lifestyle.

Two years later, I’ve realized that there is more to the UM experience than this encapsulation of everything orange and green.

The athletics department’s initiative to create a video to keep students from leaving the stadium suggests that students’ memories are centered on football games. For some, that’s true, but that’s not the case for myself and probably many others.

Don’t get me wrong. I hold the university in high esteem for both its academic and social reputation. UM’s almost century-long history is connected to the football team.

But UM is more than its football team. Groups of talented and passionate students remember their time being in the Student Government office, hosting a music show on WVUM or researching topics in biology in the Cox Building.

Athletics’ video aims to achieve a similar goal to orientation: Bring together the individual students that are part of this larger community at our various stadiums.

This community is positive because majors from all schools and disciplines come together. But conveying to students that there is a need to stay at games through a video takes away from this natural event.

Allow students to make their experience what they want it to be – whether that means staying for two quarters or the entire game.

Let’s not judge but embrace all university experiences, regardless of how far removed that may be from Sun Life Stadium.

Alexander Gonzalez is a junior majoring in English literature.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...