Four years don’t always center around sports

New Student Orientation barrages recently arrived students – both freshmen and transfers – with University of Miami traditions after traditions. A flurry of C-A-N-E-S spell outs, chants and cheers introduced me to the spirited UM lifestyle.

Two years later, I’ve realized that there is more to the UM experience than this encapsulation of everything orange and green.

The athletics department’s initiative to create a video to keep students from leaving the stadium suggests that students’ memories are centered on football games. For some, that’s true, but that’s not the case for myself and probably many others.

Don’t get me wrong. I hold the university in high esteem for both its academic and social reputation. UM’s almost century-long history is connected to the football team.

But UM is more than its football team. Groups of talented and passionate students remember their time being in the Student Government office, hosting a music show on WVUM or researching topics in biology in the Cox Building.

Athletics’ video aims to achieve a similar goal to orientation: Bring together the individual students that are part of this larger community at our various stadiums.

This community is positive because majors from all schools and disciplines come together. But conveying to students that there is a need to stay at games through a video takes away from this natural event.

Allow students to make their experience what they want it to be – whether that means staying for two quarters or the entire game.

Let’s not judge but embrace all university experiences, regardless of how far removed that may be from Sun Life Stadium.

Alexander Gonzalez is a junior majoring in English literature.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...