Football game attracts true fans, not football culture

Google, if you will, the phrase “Miami Heat Game 6 fans.” What you’ll find is a flurry of articles written by various news outlets – both local and national – embarrassingly calling out fans that left last year’s intense NBA finals face-off early.

What was the main reason that these seat holders gave reporters for leaving early?

They just had to beat the Miami traffic.

Those fans may have gotten home 30 minutes earlier, but the articles written about them will stay on Google’s search engines for years to come.

The University of Miami athletics department and head football coach Al Golden are planning to release a video during the next football game to urge students to stay for the entire duration of games. I think this is a great idea. But will it work? That I’m not so sure about.

Every year at the beginning of the fall semester, I hear so much excitement about football games, tailgates and cut-up game day shirts. The intensity is palpable. Because of all this energy, it has taken me three years to realize something so readily apparent. While there are many die hard football Canes fans out there, there are also a lot of pseudo-fans that go to games more for the football culture than for the actual football.

These are the fans that will wake up at 5 a.m. to be at Sun Life Stadium by 6 a.m. with a foam finger in one hand and two mimosas in the other. They are the ones ready to leave at halftime in order to escape the endless list of hassles they magically hadn’t felt before kickoff: Heat, noise, boredom and exhaustion. Must have been all those intense games of beer pong.

Everyone is entitled to make his or her own decision about how to spend time on game day. However, lack of attendance – or even worse, dwindling fans as a game progresses – reflects poorly on our student body, our university and our team. Most of the time, this damage is irreparable.

Considering the negative attention Miami Heat fans garnered for leaving Game 6 a bit too soon, I think a true Canes fan would think twice before hopping on that shuttle back to campus.

Amilynn Soto is a senior majoring in advertising and psychology.

Amilynn Soto

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...