Blogs, Focus on Fitness

Halloween Road Races

Focus on Fitness Logo

Before you down that plastic pumpkin of candy or head to the Grove for a not-so-sober Halloween, sign yourself up for a fun race!

1. 2013 Halloween Spooktacular 5k

Saturday, Oct. 26, TY Park, Hollywood, FL

Runners of all abilities are invited to this event. The 5k Run/Walk kicks off at 7:15 a.m. followed by the Spooky Sprint Kids Dash, and Monster Mile at 8 a.m.  Preregistration costs $30 and will jump to $35 on race day. Members of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Road Runners Club enjoy a discounted preregistration fee of $25. All participants who come in costume will receive gift certificates from race sponsors and the GFLRRC. For more information, visit gflrrc.org/images/ stories/ GFLRRC%20-%202013%20HALLOWEEN%20SPOOKTACULAR% 205K%20APP.pdf

2. Miami Beach Halloween Half Marathon

Saturday, Oct. 26, Miami Beach, FL

If you a) love to run, b) love Halloween costumes, or c) love to run in Halloween costumes, this is the race for you. This scenic course along Miami Beach starts at Jungle Island and winds its way through the islands and causeways to Miami Beach and back again. Register to race in the Costume or Age Group Categories. Costume categories include Superhero, Villain, Scary, Funny, Underwear, and WTF! Register online for $100 at active.com/miami-beach-fl/running/races/miami-beach-halloween-half-marathon-and-freaky-4-miler-2013. All finishers receive a signature Halloween themed medal. For more information, visit the event website at halloweenhalfmarathon.com/events/miami-beach/.

3. Mud Dogs Monster Dash

Saturday, Oct. 26, Amelia Earhart Park, Hialeah, FL

Get ready to get down n’ dirty for this one. Participants in this Mud Dogs series event can expect a gauntlet of military-style obstacles and a whole lot of mud. Wall climbing, aquatics, hurdles, crawling and balancing events are all part of the fun. Individual registration costs $65 until Oct. 23 ($80 after) and includes a race bib, shirt, entertainment and a finisher’s medal. For more information, visit muddogsevents.com/Miami_Fl_event.html.

4. Mud Mingle Halloween Mud Ball

Saturday, Oct. 26, Virginia Key Park, Key Biscayne, Miami FL

This 18+ event is a guaranteed howl. Register for the 5k race as an Individual ($79), Team ($74 per member), or an elite racer in the Competitive Heat ($94) through Oct. 21.  This year’s event will also feature a 10k course for an additional $10 added to the registration fee. All runners will receive a finishers T-shirt, a Mud Mingle dog tag and an ice cold beer. But the fun freebies don’t stop there. The event website boasts a free after-party with “contests, games, prizes and general silliness…club-style waitress service, food trucks and kick ass DJ.”

In the spirit of the holiday, prizes will be awarded for the best and worst Halloween costumes.

Need that extra reason to convince your friends? The biggest team will be awarded with free access to a VIP tent and keg party.

The party continues into the evening with free entry and two free drinks at the official nighttime Mud Mingle club event held at Gryphon/Pangaea Nightclub at The Hard Rock in Hollywood.

For additional information, visit mudmingle.com/miami-mingle/.

5. down2earth Oleta Halloween Trail Run

Sunday, Oct. 27, North Miami Beach, FL

Looking to get in touch with nature? This is the race for you. Runners can choose to participate in the 13.1 mile ($45), 10k ($40) or 5k ($35) trail runs.

The varied terrain takes runners off the road and into the tropical beauty of South Florida.

To register, visit active.com/north-miami-beach-fl/running/trail-run/down2earth-5-k-10-k-half-marathon-halloween-trail-run-2013.

6. FIU Running Scared 5k

Sunday, Oct. 27, North Miami, FL

Let’s face it. We all have those days when even lacing up your running shoes is an effort. Florida International University’s Running Scared 5k will provide you with that little bit of extra motivation to get you up and running. How about being chased by a pack of zombies sound for motivation?

For $30, participants can register as a runner or a Zombie (Chaser or Walker) for this race, organized by the FIU Tri Team.

For further details and registration information, visit active.com/5k-race/north-miami-fl/fiu-running-scared-5k-2013?cmp=39-28–156210&ltcmp=194590&ltclickid=10_59487346_03e9435f-af03-42ca-91a5-4e6ec30f9f4a&cmp=39-28

Kristen Spillane

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...