Blogs, Focus on Fitness

Halloween Road Races

Focus on Fitness Logo

Before you down that plastic pumpkin of candy or head to the Grove for a not-so-sober Halloween, sign yourself up for a fun race!

1. 2013 Halloween Spooktacular 5k

Saturday, Oct. 26, TY Park, Hollywood, FL

Runners of all abilities are invited to this event. The 5k Run/Walk kicks off at 7:15 a.m. followed by the Spooky Sprint Kids Dash, and Monster Mile at 8 a.m.  Preregistration costs $30 and will jump to $35 on race day. Members of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Road Runners Club enjoy a discounted preregistration fee of $25. All participants who come in costume will receive gift certificates from race sponsors and the GFLRRC. For more information, visit gflrrc.org/images/ stories/ GFLRRC%20-%202013%20HALLOWEEN%20SPOOKTACULAR% 205K%20APP.pdf

2. Miami Beach Halloween Half Marathon

Saturday, Oct. 26, Miami Beach, FL

If you a) love to run, b) love Halloween costumes, or c) love to run in Halloween costumes, this is the race for you. This scenic course along Miami Beach starts at Jungle Island and winds its way through the islands and causeways to Miami Beach and back again. Register to race in the Costume or Age Group Categories. Costume categories include Superhero, Villain, Scary, Funny, Underwear, and WTF! Register online for $100 at active.com/miami-beach-fl/running/races/miami-beach-halloween-half-marathon-and-freaky-4-miler-2013. All finishers receive a signature Halloween themed medal. For more information, visit the event website at halloweenhalfmarathon.com/events/miami-beach/.

3. Mud Dogs Monster Dash

Saturday, Oct. 26, Amelia Earhart Park, Hialeah, FL

Get ready to get down n’ dirty for this one. Participants in this Mud Dogs series event can expect a gauntlet of military-style obstacles and a whole lot of mud. Wall climbing, aquatics, hurdles, crawling and balancing events are all part of the fun. Individual registration costs $65 until Oct. 23 ($80 after) and includes a race bib, shirt, entertainment and a finisher’s medal. For more information, visit muddogsevents.com/Miami_Fl_event.html.

4. Mud Mingle Halloween Mud Ball

Saturday, Oct. 26, Virginia Key Park, Key Biscayne, Miami FL

This 18+ event is a guaranteed howl. Register for the 5k race as an Individual ($79), Team ($74 per member), or an elite racer in the Competitive Heat ($94) through Oct. 21.  This year’s event will also feature a 10k course for an additional $10 added to the registration fee. All runners will receive a finishers T-shirt, a Mud Mingle dog tag and an ice cold beer. But the fun freebies don’t stop there. The event website boasts a free after-party with “contests, games, prizes and general silliness…club-style waitress service, food trucks and kick ass DJ.”

In the spirit of the holiday, prizes will be awarded for the best and worst Halloween costumes.

Need that extra reason to convince your friends? The biggest team will be awarded with free access to a VIP tent and keg party.

The party continues into the evening with free entry and two free drinks at the official nighttime Mud Mingle club event held at Gryphon/Pangaea Nightclub at The Hard Rock in Hollywood.

For additional information, visit mudmingle.com/miami-mingle/.

5. down2earth Oleta Halloween Trail Run

Sunday, Oct. 27, North Miami Beach, FL

Looking to get in touch with nature? This is the race for you. Runners can choose to participate in the 13.1 mile ($45), 10k ($40) or 5k ($35) trail runs.

The varied terrain takes runners off the road and into the tropical beauty of South Florida.

To register, visit active.com/north-miami-beach-fl/running/trail-run/down2earth-5-k-10-k-half-marathon-halloween-trail-run-2013.

6. FIU Running Scared 5k

Sunday, Oct. 27, North Miami, FL

Let’s face it. We all have those days when even lacing up your running shoes is an effort. Florida International University’s Running Scared 5k will provide you with that little bit of extra motivation to get you up and running. How about being chased by a pack of zombies sound for motivation?

For $30, participants can register as a runner or a Zombie (Chaser or Walker) for this race, organized by the FIU Tri Team.

For further details and registration information, visit active.com/5k-race/north-miami-fl/fiu-running-scared-5k-2013?cmp=39-28–156210&ltcmp=194590&ltclickid=10_59487346_03e9435f-af03-42ca-91a5-4e6ec30f9f4a&cmp=39-28

Kristen Spillane

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...