Soccer, Sports

Miami, Boston College unable to score in two overtime sessions

Midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo battles a BC player for possession of the ball during Sunday's game. Becca Magrino // Contributing Photographer

Midfielder Gianna Dal Pozzo battles a BC player for possession of the ball during Sunday’s game.
Becca Magrino // Contributing Photographer

A season-high for goals against an ACC opponent was still not enough for the Miami Hurricanes women’s soccer team to get a win over Boston College on Sunday.

Instead, the teams battled to a 3-3 tie after a pair of 10-minute overtimes at Cobb Stadium could not determine a winner.

“Definitely happy we got a point,” UM coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “Points have been a little difficult to get in the last few games. So that’s what I said to them at the end of the game.”

The Eagles struck first, scoring in the 23rd minute when UM goalkeeper Emily Lillard came out of her net for a ball, but BC’s Stephanie McCaffrey beat her to it and put it home.

Just nine minutes later, Miami (8-6-1, 3-6-1 ACC) answered as junior forward Ashley Flinn added to her team lead in goals by scoring her 11th of the season. Sophomore midfielder Jasmine Paterson was credited with the assist when she sent a through ball near midfield and saw Flinn run it down and beat the keeper one on one.

The goal by Flinn marked the first time Miami scored in the first half in any of its 10 ACC contests this season.

Stephanie McCaffrey scored her second goal of the match and 12th of the season in the 41st minute to give BC the lead at the break, but it would not last long.

UM senior defender Tara Schwitter evened the score in the 59th minute on a free kick from about 25 yards out, sending the ball from the left side into the upper 90 on the opposite corner.

“It’s actually funny because earlier this week I literally was practicing free kicks with [coach Monroe]from the same exact spot and I hit two like that and she was like, ‘Okay, we’re done. We’re just going to stop there,’” Schwitter said of her goal. “So, there you go, I practiced it just a few days ago and it ended up happening in the game.”

Two minutes later, Jasmine Paterson gave Miami the lead when she received a pass from junior midfielder Erin McGovern and found the twine from inside the box.

Boston College (8-7-1, 4-5-1 ACC) goalkeeper Alexandra Johnson was given a red card in the 68th minute and the Eagles had to go with 10 players the rest of the way.

Despite that, BC was able to tie it up, when Gibby Wagner made the most of an 80th minute penalty kick and sent the game to extra time. Neither team would score in the additional 20 minutes, but both came close, with BC even hitting the crossbar in the first session.

Monroe and her players kept a positive outlook on the team’s overall performance.

“Maddie [Simms] at the end of the game said to Ashley and Jasmine in front of everybody –which made me really proud – that was the best they’ve played together all year,” Monroe said. “Just their movement and playing off of each other, and I would agree.”

The Hurricanes next travel to Charlottesville, Va. to play undefeated, top-ranked Virginia at 7 p.m. Thursday.

Alex Schwartz

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...