Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

International combination of director, cast, setting shine in ‘Daisy’

“Daisy” – Available for streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime

Few movies can accomplish the delicate balance that “Daisy” achieves between action and romance. This cross-genre appeal, which Hollywood tries to fake with every action flick, is sincere in its integrity, thanks to the elegance of its storytelling.

Like the inside jokes that only good novels can pull off, the movie successfully references itself, using small details, such as gifts and token gestures. Also, like a novel, it relies on sporadic narration, which gets into the head of the characters, letting us hear their reactions in real time.

This style of narration is difficult to execute without becoming melodramatic, but it succeeds thanks to the idiosyncratic nature of the three main characters. Of course, the flowy, poetic sonority of the Korean language does not hurt either. Jung Woo-Sung’s crispy voice, in particular, makes the most mundane words sound like the delicate, sustained notes of the classical music his character enjoys.

This is certainly a film for the appreciators of international culture: The director and production team are from Hong Kong, the cast and language are from Korea, and the backdrop is set in the Netherlands’ flowered countryside and Amsterdam’s open plazas.

Above all, the story is well-timed. It knows when to pull the right strings and when to pull the wrong triggers. It does not indulge in jumping around with flashbacks for the sake of appearing sophisticated, but rather uses flashbacks and retellings with different angles in order to better tell the story – the way a painter must sketch the entire canvas before filling in the details.

Luisa Andonie

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol