Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

International combination of director, cast, setting shine in ‘Daisy’

“Daisy” – Available for streaming on Netflix and Amazon Prime

Few movies can accomplish the delicate balance that “Daisy” achieves between action and romance. This cross-genre appeal, which Hollywood tries to fake with every action flick, is sincere in its integrity, thanks to the elegance of its storytelling.

Like the inside jokes that only good novels can pull off, the movie successfully references itself, using small details, such as gifts and token gestures. Also, like a novel, it relies on sporadic narration, which gets into the head of the characters, letting us hear their reactions in real time.

This style of narration is difficult to execute without becoming melodramatic, but it succeeds thanks to the idiosyncratic nature of the three main characters. Of course, the flowy, poetic sonority of the Korean language does not hurt either. Jung Woo-Sung’s crispy voice, in particular, makes the most mundane words sound like the delicate, sustained notes of the classical music his character enjoys.

This is certainly a film for the appreciators of international culture: The director and production team are from Hong Kong, the cast and language are from Korea, and the backdrop is set in the Netherlands’ flowered countryside and Amsterdam’s open plazas.

Above all, the story is well-timed. It knows when to pull the right strings and when to pull the wrong triggers. It does not indulge in jumping around with flashbacks for the sake of appearing sophisticated, but rather uses flashbacks and retellings with different angles in order to better tell the story – the way a painter must sketch the entire canvas before filling in the details.

Luisa Andonie

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...