Campus Life, News

Rat expansion offers more opportunities for events

The opening of the new Student Activities Center brings a new venue for the Rathskeller to call home.

Opened in 1972 to promote the interest and welfare of the university, the Rat has been a campus staple ever since. Over the years, the Rat has been through many changes in order to best serve the student body, university employees and alumni.

“All [the alumni]say that one of the first things they want to do is stop by and check out the Rat,” said the Rat’s manager Anne Vitha.  “Many people spend a lot of time hanging out with friends and making memories at the Rat. It’s an integral part of the Miami experience.”

The student-run Rathskeller Advisory Board that is responsible for planning events hopes to use the new space to take the Rat back to its roots.

“The Rat was the ‘it’ place to be,” said Julie Earl, chair of the RAB. “We want to turn it back into the nighttime hangout spot it once was.”

With the expanded floor space, the Rat is capable of hosting more events than the temporary Rat in the University Center could. And that means the Rat has something for everyone. The RAB plans to have watch parties for away football games as well as bring comedians for late night events. The Rat recently hosted a Poetry Slam for UM poets to share their writing. Official student organizations are also free to plan their own events at the Rat.

The RAB has also started new weekly events and giveaways to cater to students, such as shooting pool on Tournament Tuesday, listening to country music on Western Wednesday, and seeing Miami in its football glory days on Throwback Thursday.

In addition to an impressive sound system and two-story design, the Rat has expanded the patio area to allow room for more glider tables and an outdoor bar.  You can also find pool tables on the second floor, a popcorn machine and a stage area reminiscent of the Rat from years past.

For patrons of legal age, the Rat is now stocked with 19 beers on tap and a larger variety of bottled beer, including Shock Top, Goose Island and Dos Equis. Many of the selections were chosen from beers that were rotated in service at the old Rat.

“People order drinks and are impressed with our beer selection,” said Shane Hinton, a Rat employee. “As their bartender, I like that I can give them what they want.”

Hours of operation were also extended so that indoor seating remains open until midnight on weekdays, till 4 p.m. on Saturdays, and till 7 p.m. on Sundays.

With all the changes, however, the Rat remains the center of campus bar students know and love.

“Even though it’s the new Rat, it’s still the Rat,” said Earl. “We’re excited to brand it in a new way.”

Nicole Hartford

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...