Technology stunts a generation of attention spans

Sometimes I sit at the back of a lecture hall to look at what other students are doing on their computers as the professor explains the steps of cell respiration. Out of 200 screens, I’d estimate a breakdown of 20 percent each on Facebook, doing other homework, reading blogs and watching TV, another 10 percent shopping online, and the final 10 actually looking at the biology notes on Blackboard.

I’ve always prided myself on my attention span, but now that I have my own laptop, I find it harder and harder to focus on a lecture. After 30 minutes of taking biology notes, I usually decide I can be more productive if I check my email and start my philosophy essay while simultaneously absorbing the lecture.

My multitasking ambition is common among most students. College students overestimate their ability to multitask, which can lead to shallower and spottier learning, according to experts. A recent Carnegie Mellon study showed that people interrupted by technology scored 20 percent lower on a cognition test, and one from California State University-Dominguez Hills estimated that the average college student cannot concentrate for more than two minutes without breaking for technology and social media.

I may chuckle at the screens of my classmates every now and then, but our generation’s inability to focus is a serious problem. I can’t help but think that this inefficiency is fueled by new technology on the market, including, most recently, the Samsung Galaxy Gear SmartWatch. The Galaxy Gear is a simpler (and wearable) version of a touch screen smartphone. It can run a few apps, function as a camera, receive text messages, and, of course, tell time. I can only interpret its “Smart Freedom” slogan as another way of saying “freeing your hands from your smartphone so you can do five things at once instead of a mere three.”

With smartwatches strapped to our wrists, there would be no escaping the constant bombardment of notifications. What’s more, it seems like we as consumers have gotten so lazy that technology companies have decided to create a whole new market of wearable technology, just so we don’t have to take our phones out of our pockets or purses.

While a smartwatch is essentially a useless invention, there will nevertheless be tech-junkies, lazy-tech-users and ambitious multitaskers who will spend the $300 on the shiny wrist accessory anyway. While I don’t mean to put down anyone’s fashion choices, I certainly hope to warn them about the interference in studying, test taking, driving and any other concentrated activity.

Nayna Shah is a freshman majoring in music composition.

Nayna Shah

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...