Community, News

Sophomore dies in canoe accident, memorial to take place Tuesday

University of Miami student Andy Melendez died Saturday in a canoe accident while in Arcadia, Fla.

Melendez was a second year, pre-med student from Astoria, NY and a member of the fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha. A memorial service will be held 8 p.m. Tuesday on The Rock.

Melendez was reported missing Saturday night after one other student ended up in the water, according to the De Soto County Sheriff’s office. His friends realized he was missing several minutes later.

“The University of Miami community was saddened to learn of the death of Andy Melendez…” UM president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Monday. ” Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy’s family and friends.”

The counseling center is available for any students who have been impacted by the tragedy. For more information on the counseling center, call 305-284-5511 or visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/counseling_center.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...