Community, News

Sophomore dies in canoe accident, memorial to take place Tuesday

University of Miami student Andy Melendez died Saturday in a canoe accident while in Arcadia, Fla.

Melendez was a second year, pre-med student from Astoria, NY and a member of the fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha. A memorial service will be held 8 p.m. Tuesday on The Rock.

Melendez was reported missing Saturday night after one other student ended up in the water, according to the De Soto County Sheriff’s office. His friends realized he was missing several minutes later.

“The University of Miami community was saddened to learn of the death of Andy Melendez…” UM president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Monday. ” Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy’s family and friends.”

The counseling center is available for any students who have been impacted by the tragedy. For more information on the counseling center, call 305-284-5511 or visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/counseling_center.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...