Community, News

Sophomore dies in canoe accident, memorial to take place Tuesday

University of Miami student Andy Melendez died Saturday in a canoe accident while in Arcadia, Fla.

Melendez was a second year, pre-med student from Astoria, NY and a member of the fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha. A memorial service will be held 8 p.m. Tuesday on The Rock.

Melendez was reported missing Saturday night after one other student ended up in the water, according to the De Soto County Sheriff’s office. His friends realized he was missing several minutes later.

“The University of Miami community was saddened to learn of the death of Andy Melendez…” UM president Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Monday. ” Our thoughts and prayers are with Andy’s family and friends.”

The counseling center is available for any students who have been impacted by the tragedy. For more information on the counseling center, call 305-284-5511 or visit miami.edu/sa/index.php/counseling_center.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...