Academics, News

Students volunteer as mentors for Frost MusicReach

The Frost School of Music may have some of its youngest Mozarts in the Frost MusicReach program.

Frost MusicReach gives kids in low-income communities, such as Coconut Grove and Overtown, the opportunity to appreciate and be exposed to musical instruments. Children learn about all kinds of music genres from classical and  jazz to bluegrass.

Cassandra Eisenreich, the program and outreach coordinator for Frost, oversees the 12 different programs in Frost MusicReach. She stresses the importance of not only teaching the children music, but also instilling valuable skills and lifelong lessons that they can use in other aspects of their lives.

“We’re not just shaping them to be musicians, but to be productive human beings, and using music as the vehicle to do so,” she said. “We’re teaching them all of the life skills that they need, and all of those skills can be taught through music.”

Eisenreich also advises more than 40 graduate and undergraduate teaching mentors that volunteer for MusicReach. Cassandra Davenport, a teaching assistant who participates in MusicReach, works at the Coconut Grove site.

“I really believe in nurturing and fostering new teachers and encouraging them to get involved in the community and showing them how important these experiences are for the teaching profession,” Davenport said.

The teachers do not have to be certified music educators. Many of the graduate students have advanced degrees and experience in teaching, so they are able to mentor the undergraduate students that do not have much experience as well.

Agarita Palavicini, another teaching assistant, has been teaching music to the same group of high school students for two years.

“There’s a difference in how the students are and how they are acting,” Palavicini said. “They now have a respect and a reverence for music that they did not have before.”

Andrew Krumholz, who is studying for his master’s degree in music, teaches at Ludlam Elementary School in South Miami. He also notices the difference in the students and how excited they are to learn.

“The classes in a way are an escape,” he said. “These kids really feel connected to us as the teachers. They can be expressive, and they don’t have to think about all the other things in their lives.”

Frost MusicReach collaborates with the Greater Miami Youth Symphony to provide instruction for seventh graders throughout Miami-Dade County.

Freshman music majors mentor kids for four years.

A video detailing the program can be found at bit.ly/1cLKznd.

Ashley McBride

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...