Campus Life, News, Student Government

SG to determine benefits of fall break extension

Students will embark on the first-ever two-day fall break this semester, taking place from Thursday to Sunday.

Student Government’s (SG) Senate passed a bill stating that students wanted a longer fall break and Thanksgiving break. Fall break used to just be one day, and the Thanksgiving holiday was only two days – the Thanksgiving Thursday and the day after.

A committee made up of SG, the Faculty Senate and the University of Miami’s Counseling Center was formed last spring to address an extension of this break.

“The Counseling Center had data that showed a significant uptick in the number of students who went in for counseling during fall break,” said Adam Orshan, SG press secretary. “Because of this data and the changing academic schedule, the committee recommended that fall break be extended.”

According to Ernesto Escoto, director of the Counseling Center, there was an increase in demand for services just last week, with 37 more crisis appointments than usual.

“The main idea behind fall break is for students to truly take a break,” he said. “Chronic levels of stress lead to high levels of cortisone and chronic levels of cortisone can be damaging to the brain.”

Cortisone is a chemical in the brain that is beneficial only in small doses, like when dealing with a fight or flight response, which happens when people get scared, for example.

After the fall break, Student Government plans to evaluate whether the extension was beneficial.

“Student Government will determine the success of extending fall break by talking to students and speaking with the Counseling Center to determine if the extra day is helping students,” Orshan said.

The Counseling Center will keep track of the amount of student appointments to determine whether the extended break was successful.

“We are hoping after fall break we see a sharp decrease in the need for urgent care appointments where students are stressed about academics,” Escoto said.

There are no plans to return to a one-day fall break.

The Counseling Center hopes that the extended fall break will be beneficial to students in several ways.

“Students that make use of the break are able to stay on top of work, take time off and let their bodies and minds regenerate,” Escoto said. “We need to take a break, that’s why we have weekends.”

Because of the extension, students will have the chance to make the most of their experiences.

Sophomore Andy Stockton plans to travel to New York City with members of the UM chapter of the Audio Engineering Society (AES) for the AES’s annual convention. He believes that this experience would not have been possible without a longer fall break.

“I’m going to the AES Convention to see the latest audio products and toys, see what the future of audio holds, meet a bunch of companies, experience New York and find out what career path I may want to go down,” he said.

Megan McCrink

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...