Keep busy during fall break

My first autumn in Miami, I was upset. I wanted changing leaves; I wanted hoodies. I wanted to be able to wear flannel and ugly boots. Then, for fall break, I visited my sister and her boyfriend in Boston. It was so cold that I felt like I was dying a goosebump-induced death and wanted to go back to my heaven in Miami.

As an anemic, small person who prefers tank tops to practicality, I find the cold weather of the upper East Coast horrible. I understand that weather-induced pain is temporary and conquerable, but coldness is like a coma in which you’re still expected to interact with people. In Miami, the weather has never been cruel to me.

So, if you’re staying in town this fall break, lucky you. No complaining. Don’t dwell on the fact that your friends are at home enjoying a mom-cooked meal, while you’re stuck at the dining hall trying to guess how many hours your chicken spent swimming in salt water. Get up from the loner booth and pack yourself a picnic. Then go sit at a park in the sunshine, in your underwear – because you can. You’ll get a tan rather than hypothermia.

If you’re going on an exotic vacation over break, congratulations on having money. You are the 99 percent of this campus and I absolutely loathe you. I hate your car, too.

If you’re visiting family – in New Jersey, I assume – try not to fight with them. If anyone begins to nag you, just bring up the government shutdown so they can shout about something other than your partying or potential life partner, both of which are cute right now but will be a hot mess in about three years. It’s so pleasant when everyone’s yelling about something that involves the fate of the entire country, rather than just yours.

Also, this fall break, you have two whole days off instead of just one. So on day one, do what you want. Want to go to the beach? You should. Want to go out to clubs? You probably shouldn’t after what happened last time, but OK, try to behave.

On day two, presuming you don’t feel the steady beat of a soggy rum drum pounding in your head, start studying. Your major will determine how many days you need to set aside for not enjoying yourself. Business majors, you’re off the hook; there’s more fun in store for you. But pre-meds? Why are you even reading the paper? Do you think you have time for this?

When you’re done studying, relax. Catch up with friends. Call grandma. Draw some doodles. Trim your nails. Whatever you do, just don’t sleep your fall break away. A lot can happen in two days, and settling down is something for 6-year-olds and dead people. At present, you have some adventuring to do.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...