Keep busy during fall break

My first autumn in Miami, I was upset. I wanted changing leaves; I wanted hoodies. I wanted to be able to wear flannel and ugly boots. Then, for fall break, I visited my sister and her boyfriend in Boston. It was so cold that I felt like I was dying a goosebump-induced death and wanted to go back to my heaven in Miami.

As an anemic, small person who prefers tank tops to practicality, I find the cold weather of the upper East Coast horrible. I understand that weather-induced pain is temporary and conquerable, but coldness is like a coma in which you’re still expected to interact with people. In Miami, the weather has never been cruel to me.

So, if you’re staying in town this fall break, lucky you. No complaining. Don’t dwell on the fact that your friends are at home enjoying a mom-cooked meal, while you’re stuck at the dining hall trying to guess how many hours your chicken spent swimming in salt water. Get up from the loner booth and pack yourself a picnic. Then go sit at a park in the sunshine, in your underwear – because you can. You’ll get a tan rather than hypothermia.

If you’re going on an exotic vacation over break, congratulations on having money. You are the 99 percent of this campus and I absolutely loathe you. I hate your car, too.

If you’re visiting family – in New Jersey, I assume – try not to fight with them. If anyone begins to nag you, just bring up the government shutdown so they can shout about something other than your partying or potential life partner, both of which are cute right now but will be a hot mess in about three years. It’s so pleasant when everyone’s yelling about something that involves the fate of the entire country, rather than just yours.

Also, this fall break, you have two whole days off instead of just one. So on day one, do what you want. Want to go to the beach? You should. Want to go out to clubs? You probably shouldn’t after what happened last time, but OK, try to behave.

On day two, presuming you don’t feel the steady beat of a soggy rum drum pounding in your head, start studying. Your major will determine how many days you need to set aside for not enjoying yourself. Business majors, you’re off the hook; there’s more fun in store for you. But pre-meds? Why are you even reading the paper? Do you think you have time for this?

When you’re done studying, relax. Catch up with friends. Call grandma. Draw some doodles. Trim your nails. Whatever you do, just don’t sleep your fall break away. A lot can happen in two days, and settling down is something for 6-year-olds and dead people. At present, you have some adventuring to do.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...