Health, News

Guardrails interns track patients’ health progress

A hot and muggy July did not stop people from streaming through the University Center breezeway for free wellness assessments, or guardrails, in graduate student Craig Flanagan’s words.

“The literal definition of a guardrail is a system of prevention to protect people,” he said. “That’s exactly what we’re doing. We put up guardrails instead of having an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.”

The Guardrails Prevention Initiative is an internship program that the School of Education runs and is looking to expand its reach. In collaboration with UHealth, undergraduate and graduate students in the program conduct 10-minute health screenings for adults, said Wesley Smith, a kinesiology professor at the School of Education.

At the end of the patient’s visit, he or she is given a 10-page report on his or her cardiovascular health, muscle health and metabolic health in comparison to their age, Smith said.

“We basically give them a snapshot of the results of their assessment,” said graduate student Emily White, who works with Smith and Flanagan. “The assessment asks patients to perform several simple movements while we test their heart rate.”

This report also includes a list of healthy foods, when they can be consumed and an explanation of the nutritional value of certain foods, according to Smith.

“We give you an eight-week program specific to you with a daily checklist and an aerobic exercise video,” he said. “We tell patients what to change based on their behaviors and provide them with a target weight.”

The program began by assessing nurses. In July, it tackled a bigger group of employees and students by holding screenings on the University of Miami’s three main campuses. Smith, White and Flanagan hope to expand the program’s reach to medical offices and clinics throughout Miami.

The Guardrails want to track a specific group of people five times a year in order to measure their progress and prove to insurance companies that this program works, according to Chelsea Verduin, a kinesiology student.

“Our biggest belief is if we educate people, we can redirect their behavior,” Flanagan said. “That’s what this whole thing is about and that’s what we’re trying to prove.”

Guardrails ultimately has a goal beyond helping adults to be more healthy.

“By making patients healthier, we could potentially save money for health care providers and their patients,” Smith said.

Any student can participate in this internship as long as he or she has an interest in health. For more information, visit guardrailsprevention.com or email Wesley Smith at wes@miami.edu.

Alexandra Klumpp

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...