Email may be old, but still current

When email was invented decades ago, it transformed the way the world communicated: for free and instantly.

Nowadays, text messages and Facebook messages offer the same conveniences, which is why a recent New York Times article suggested that email has become a nearly obsolete form of communication for college students.

For class projects, students often create Facebook groups or start message threads using the social networking site to discuss the assignment and share ideas.

On campus, professors who teach the large immigration reform course, for example, discourage emails. Instead, they require students to like a Facebook page, where class announcements are made and resources are posted. The same method was employed for the 2012 election class last fall.

Nonetheless, email is a necessary, not antiquated, tool – both in college and in the business world. In fact, The Miami Hurricane editorial board came to this conclusion by conducting a virtual discussion through email.

And, University of Miami students seem to agree. In an online poll of 122 visitors to The Miami Hurricane website, 63 percent expressed that they don’t think email is an outdated method of communication. Only 7 percent said they never check their email.

Emails can be received and read just as quickly as text messages, since many people check their email on their smartphones. On the other hand, Word Documents can be attached to a Facebook message just as easily as to an email. For that reason, the usefulness of email is not a matter of functionality, but rather a community’s culture created by personal preference.

Facebook has attempted to overtake email – giving its users personalized email addresses and allowing file transfers. But when it comes down to it, email should be used for professional reasons.

Facebook messaging a boss or text messaging a professor is rarely appropriate. Email removes the social element, focusing on communication for an academic or business purpose and thus increasing productivity.

In college, professors often send out critical email updates about assignments and tests. In the business world, meetings, calendars and requests are all sent by email. And that’s something students should get used to now.

You’ve got mail, students. This message is marked as urgent: If you aren’t taking full advantage of email during your undergraduate years, you’ll need to embrace it in your future careers.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...