Best of Miami, Edge, Music

Big Night in Little Haiti

Konpa music legends Les Freres Dejean and Aroze play at the Haitian Cultural Center during the September "Big Night in Little Haiti" event. Morgan Coleman // Contributing Photographer

Les Freres Dejean and Aroze, who play the Haitian music genre of kompa, play at the Little Haiti Cultural Center during September’s Big Night in Little Haiti event.
Morgan Coleman // Contributing Photographer

When it comes to the Miami music and culture scene, nothing’s free. Ultra tickets cost $300 for the weekend; a performance at the Arsht Center can cost $40 or more; even a tour of the Wynwood Art Walk costs $20.

This is a rough reality to face for fans of the arts – especially when they’re broke college students. But for those who still want to have a good time and expand their horizons without breaking the bank, there’s Big Night in Little Haiti.

Big Night in Little Haiti is a cultural event sponsored by the Rhythm Foundation, a South Florida nonprofit organization. It is held every third Friday of the month from 6 to 10 p.m. at the Little Haiti Cultural Center (LHCC).

The second you walk toward the LHCC’s courtyard, you will be swept up by the energy of the crowd and the music. Starting at 6 p.m., the center is crowded with people of all ages, dancing and eating.

There are several bands and DJs featured during each event. In the past, acts have included notable Haitian bands like Tabou Combo and T-Vice. Many of the bands play kompa, a Haitian musical style similar to meringue.

Big Night in Little Haiti also provides the opportunity to explore the LHCC.

The gallery is open during the event and features a rotating art show. There is a room where kids can go and participate in crafts during the show. Outside, there are vendors selling sorbet and Prestige beer, as well as a station where you can get authentic Haitian cuisine.

Adam Ganuza, the production coordinator for the Rhythm Foundation, explained that he hoped the event will help “fight back against the mal-impression” that surrounds Little Haiti and “get as much mileage as possible” out of the picturesque LHCC.

The Little Haiti Cultural Center is located at 212 NE 59th Terrace. For more information, go to http://www.rhythmfoundation.com/series/big-night-in-little-haiti/.

Marlee Lisker

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...