Best of Miami, Edge, Music

Big Night in Little Haiti

Konpa music legends Les Freres Dejean and Aroze play at the Haitian Cultural Center during the September "Big Night in Little Haiti" event. Morgan Coleman // Contributing Photographer

Les Freres Dejean and Aroze, who play the Haitian music genre of kompa, play at the Little Haiti Cultural Center during September’s Big Night in Little Haiti event.
Morgan Coleman // Contributing Photographer

When it comes to the Miami music and culture scene, nothing’s free. Ultra tickets cost $300 for the weekend; a performance at the Arsht Center can cost $40 or more; even a tour of the Wynwood Art Walk costs $20.

This is a rough reality to face for fans of the arts – especially when they’re broke college students. But for those who still want to have a good time and expand their horizons without breaking the bank, there’s Big Night in Little Haiti.

Big Night in Little Haiti is a cultural event sponsored by the Rhythm Foundation, a South Florida nonprofit organization. It is held every third Friday of the month from 6 to 10 p.m. at the Little Haiti Cultural Center (LHCC).

The second you walk toward the LHCC’s courtyard, you will be swept up by the energy of the crowd and the music. Starting at 6 p.m., the center is crowded with people of all ages, dancing and eating.

There are several bands and DJs featured during each event. In the past, acts have included notable Haitian bands like Tabou Combo and T-Vice. Many of the bands play kompa, a Haitian musical style similar to meringue.

Big Night in Little Haiti also provides the opportunity to explore the LHCC.

The gallery is open during the event and features a rotating art show. There is a room where kids can go and participate in crafts during the show. Outside, there are vendors selling sorbet and Prestige beer, as well as a station where you can get authentic Haitian cuisine.

Adam Ganuza, the production coordinator for the Rhythm Foundation, explained that he hoped the event will help “fight back against the mal-impression” that surrounds Little Haiti and “get as much mileage as possible” out of the picturesque LHCC.

The Little Haiti Cultural Center is located at 212 NE 59th Terrace. For more information, go to http://www.rhythmfoundation.com/series/big-night-in-little-haiti/.

Marlee Lisker

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...