Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

The petit pain au chocolat of French films

Clara et Moi – available for free streaming on Amazon Prime
Like a simple petit pain au chocolat, “Clara et Moi” is everything you’d want a French love story to be – light, bittersweet and over way too abruptly.
But unlike mass-produced varieties, this treat is replete with heartfelt nuances both in the cinematography and the acting. Intentional shots through windows, word-play and micro-gestures all make for a romantic picture.
Even if you don’t understand French, you will surely enjoy the whispery voice of Julie Gayet as the words melt in her mouth. Her musical voice is a propos as voices and absence of voices is a theme throughout the film. A silent first-encounter on the metro, a racy phone service and even a musical number give the movie a sincere, heartfelt quality.
For ultimate enjoyment, don’t expect a dramatic plot; just close the curtains and let it sink in on a languid Sunday afternoon.
What was my favorite directorial choice? When the main character is reading a note that Clara left him, he hears her voice in his head reading it. But as he re-reads it, her voice is replayed in a different recording and at a faster pace. Genius.

Luisa Andonie

Hansel Tookes, alumnus and assistant professor of medicine, will share his story of success at the G ...

Faculty and student researchers are experimenting with new techniques and materials to replant coral ...

If you live in Miami and have seasonal allergies, your sniffling and sneezing is a bit unusual for t ...

The University of Miami student group partnered with two local, nonprofit organizations to beautify ...

The conviction of film producer Harvey Weinstein is being hailed as providing justice, but it also h ...