Academics, News, Science and Technology

UMTV to house new HD cameras

The University of Miami is adding $1.7 million worth of state-of-the-art studio equipment to benefit the students at UMTV and the School of Communication’s broadcast program.

“It’s exciting to have hands-on experience with new equipment that is used in big networks like Univision, NBC and ABC,” said UMTV Station Manager Lauren Behar.

Eight new high-definition studio cameras – six on pedestals and two fixed ones – are expected to arrive later this month and be put to use right away. The switch to HD work will happen in the spring semester after key components such as monitors, routers and graphics are integrated into the system.

“This is a very exciting time for us,” said electronic media professor Ed Julbe. “The migration to HD has been slow and steady.”

His colleague, broadcast journalism professor Andy Barton, said the change will help streamline the production process.

“These cameras, along with some new control room equipment, will enable us to broadcast in HD,” he said.  “We already shoot all of our field video in HD, but then had to convert it to standard definition before it goes out over the air.”

Students and faculty will also be learning to use new editing software. The school is switching to a program called Avid to replace Final Cut Pro, which students have used for years.

“The switch to Avid was one that was made collectively as a faculty,” Julbe said. “Avid has been a leader in the world of post-production for many years. By making the switch, we are preparing our students on the same software used by industry professionals.”

Some students aren’t thrilled about changing to a new system but can see the benefit.

“I do not like the change from Final Cut Pro to Avid, but I am happy because this program would be needed in the real world,” said senior Galie Darwich, co-executive producer of UniMiami, a Spanish news show similar to Univision’s news program on UMTV.

Eddie Sanchez

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...