Academics, News, Science and Technology

UMTV to house new HD cameras

The University of Miami is adding $1.7 million worth of state-of-the-art studio equipment to benefit the students at UMTV and the School of Communication’s broadcast program.

“It’s exciting to have hands-on experience with new equipment that is used in big networks like Univision, NBC and ABC,” said UMTV Station Manager Lauren Behar.

Eight new high-definition studio cameras – six on pedestals and two fixed ones – are expected to arrive later this month and be put to use right away. The switch to HD work will happen in the spring semester after key components such as monitors, routers and graphics are integrated into the system.

“This is a very exciting time for us,” said electronic media professor Ed Julbe. “The migration to HD has been slow and steady.”

His colleague, broadcast journalism professor Andy Barton, said the change will help streamline the production process.

“These cameras, along with some new control room equipment, will enable us to broadcast in HD,” he said.  “We already shoot all of our field video in HD, but then had to convert it to standard definition before it goes out over the air.”

Students and faculty will also be learning to use new editing software. The school is switching to a program called Avid to replace Final Cut Pro, which students have used for years.

“The switch to Avid was one that was made collectively as a faculty,” Julbe said. “Avid has been a leader in the world of post-production for many years. By making the switch, we are preparing our students on the same software used by industry professionals.”

Some students aren’t thrilled about changing to a new system but can see the benefit.

“I do not like the change from Final Cut Pro to Avid, but I am happy because this program would be needed in the real world,” said senior Galie Darwich, co-executive producer of UniMiami, a Spanish news show similar to Univision’s news program on UMTV.

Eddie Sanchez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...