Campus Life, News

Architecture competition develops eco-friendly designs

In November, the School of Architecture and the American Institute of Architects will be holding a unique competition focusing on adapting Miami buildings to the rising sea level caused by climate change.

The competition was created by four architecture students who are a part of UM’s chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council.

“Recent storms, along with increased scientific data, have brought climate change to the forefront of media and social conscious,” said Isaac Stein, the council’s co-president. “As architects, we must strive to provide appropriate responses to climate change so we can create a healthy relationship between contemporary life and the ever changing natural world.”

Pollution and natural gases are causing the polar ice caps to melt and sea levels to rise, which could endanger coastal construction. In Miami-Dade County, 71 percent of buildings are within three-feet high-tide mark, according to the architectural students. If water levels continue to rise, those buildings could be rendered useless. Therefore, architects need to adapt building designs and make them better prepared for natural disasters and the continuous climate change.

“The role of architects, now and in the future, is to understand science in order to make people’s lives better,” said architecture professor Joanna Lombard, faculty adviser to the council.

The Miami Resiliency Project is a design competition that is open to students and professionals. It encourages participants to examine realistic designs in response to the rising sea level in a case study format. Projects are submitted to a panel of judges, which selects the winning entries. The objective is to create resilient communities by devising a plan that is economically practical for homeowners.

According to several studies, significant portions of Florida could be submerged by rising sea levels over the next century. That means buildings and homes will have to be modified and made sustainable.

One idea suggested by council co-president Lora Shea is to put structures on stilts.

“Maybe it’s not the buildings that need to change, but rather our lifestyle,” she said. “Cities were built to protect us from our environment, but we need to learn how to co-exist with nature and the climate changes that are to come.”

A symposium titled “Miami as a Climate Change Resilient City,” will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 13, at AIA’s new downtown Miami building, 100 NW First Ave..  The symposium is free and open to the public.

Amanda Arrandt

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...