News Briefs 10/10

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will take place Saturday at more than 20 sites throughout Miami-Dade County. Students may register alone, with a student organization or with a group of friends at umghandiday.com. Walk-ins are encouraged to attend. Check-in will last until 9:30 a.m., and buses will leave campus after the opening ceremony. Students will be back on campus by 2 p.m.  Free T-shirts will be provided to all participants, as well as breakfast and lunch.

Homecoming Concert

Big Sean and Gareth Emery will be performing at the 2013 Homecoming Concert at 8 p.m. on Nov. 7. Tickets are free for students and will be available beginning Monday at the UC Ticket Window from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org/homecoming.

Emergency Notification

The Office of Emergency Management will conduct a system test of the Emergency Notification Network Friday. The test will include SMS text messages, voice messages, emails, website banners, social media, campus cable TV, digital signage, outdoor warning sirens and, beginning this year, mass public address announcements in most buildings on the Coral Gables campus and on the university Green.

Miami Seaquarium

Tickets for the Miami Sequarium will be half price for students on Saturday and Sunday. Students and up to five guests can receive the special offer, but students must present their Cane Cards to redeem the deal and enjoy the marine animal shows and tropical wildlife.

UBike Expo

The UBike Expo and Sale will be held on  Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students are encouraged to attend if interested in registering a bike with UMPD or meeting others with similar interests. Participants include All 4 Cycling, Bike Safe, Dolphins Cycling Challenge, Everglades Bicycle Club, Gables Bike Day, Green U, Mack Cycle, UMPD and the Virginia Key Bicycling Club.

Paranormal Activities

Canes After Dark will be hosting an event Friday from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m at the Student Activities Center. The event, “Paranormal Activities,” will feature a contortionist at 10 p.m., trick or treating in the student organization suites, live bands on the patio, make your own candy apple, decorate your own lantern, and corn bread and mac ‘n’ cheese from Boston Market.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The start to spring practice this year came with a long delay for Xzavier Henderson. In addition to ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...