News Briefs 10/10

Gandhi Day

National Gandhi Day of Service will take place Saturday at more than 20 sites throughout Miami-Dade County. Students may register alone, with a student organization or with a group of friends at umghandiday.com. Walk-ins are encouraged to attend. Check-in will last until 9:30 a.m., and buses will leave campus after the opening ceremony. Students will be back on campus by 2 p.m.  Free T-shirts will be provided to all participants, as well as breakfast and lunch.

Homecoming Concert

Big Sean and Gareth Emery will be performing at the 2013 Homecoming Concert at 8 p.m. on Nov. 7. Tickets are free for students and will be available beginning Monday at the UC Ticket Window from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, visit hurricaneproductions.org/homecoming.

Emergency Notification

The Office of Emergency Management will conduct a system test of the Emergency Notification Network Friday. The test will include SMS text messages, voice messages, emails, website banners, social media, campus cable TV, digital signage, outdoor warning sirens and, beginning this year, mass public address announcements in most buildings on the Coral Gables campus and on the university Green.

Miami Seaquarium

Tickets for the Miami Sequarium will be half price for students on Saturday and Sunday. Students and up to five guests can receive the special offer, but students must present their Cane Cards to redeem the deal and enjoy the marine animal shows and tropical wildlife.

UBike Expo

The UBike Expo and Sale will be held on  Monday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Students are encouraged to attend if interested in registering a bike with UMPD or meeting others with similar interests. Participants include All 4 Cycling, Bike Safe, Dolphins Cycling Challenge, Everglades Bicycle Club, Gables Bike Day, Green U, Mack Cycle, UMPD and the Virginia Key Bicycling Club.

Paranormal Activities

Canes After Dark will be hosting an event Friday from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m at the Student Activities Center. The event, “Paranormal Activities,” will feature a contortionist at 10 p.m., trick or treating in the student organization suites, live bands on the patio, make your own candy apple, decorate your own lantern, and corn bread and mac ‘n’ cheese from Boston Market.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...