News, Obituaries

Cane remembered for devotion

Longtime UM trustee and Miami Hurricanes enthusiast Nicholas “Nick” Crane passed away Sept. 30, 2013. He was 90.

Crane came to the university in 1949 as a student and received his bachelor and law degrees in 1951 and 1953, respectively.

He dedicated himself to his alma mater by giving his time and resources.

“Nick Crane was thoughtful, smart and just plain nice,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala in a statement. “He never gave up on his community or his beloved Canes. He will be missed.”

He was elected to UM’s Board of Trustees in 1986 and was named a senior trustee in 1998. During his 27 years on the board, he served on various committees, including executive, academic affairs, finance, investments, student affairs and he chaired the athletic advisory from 1990 to 1993.

Crane was a member of the UM Hospital Board of Governors and served on the visiting committees of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business Administration, Communication, Law, and Nursing and Health Studies.

Crane was a member of the George E. Merrick Giving Society. He continually gave support to many university initiatives, including athletics, the BankUnited Center and the School of Business Administration. The Della Crane Classroom at the Graduate School of Business Administration is named in memory of his late wife.

Crane is survived by two children, who are also Hurricanes, Lisa A. Crane (B.A. ‘87) and Nicholas A. Crane Jr. (B.A. ‘79), and his granddaughter, Rachel Reyes.

The university will hold a memorial service in Crane’s honor at the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center at 2 p.m. on Oct. 25.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...