News, Obituaries

Cane remembered for devotion

Longtime UM trustee and Miami Hurricanes enthusiast Nicholas “Nick” Crane passed away Sept. 30, 2013. He was 90.

Crane came to the university in 1949 as a student and received his bachelor and law degrees in 1951 and 1953, respectively.

He dedicated himself to his alma mater by giving his time and resources.

“Nick Crane was thoughtful, smart and just plain nice,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala in a statement. “He never gave up on his community or his beloved Canes. He will be missed.”

He was elected to UM’s Board of Trustees in 1986 and was named a senior trustee in 1998. During his 27 years on the board, he served on various committees, including executive, academic affairs, finance, investments, student affairs and he chaired the athletic advisory from 1990 to 1993.

Crane was a member of the UM Hospital Board of Governors and served on the visiting committees of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business Administration, Communication, Law, and Nursing and Health Studies.

Crane was a member of the George E. Merrick Giving Society. He continually gave support to many university initiatives, including athletics, the BankUnited Center and the School of Business Administration. The Della Crane Classroom at the Graduate School of Business Administration is named in memory of his late wife.

Crane is survived by two children, who are also Hurricanes, Lisa A. Crane (B.A. ‘87) and Nicholas A. Crane Jr. (B.A. ‘79), and his granddaughter, Rachel Reyes.

The university will hold a memorial service in Crane’s honor at the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center at 2 p.m. on Oct. 25.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...