Campus Life, News

Tradition Keeper Program provides digital record of student memories, Miami traditions

Alumna Sabrina Taldone and her mother Suzanne Taldone found a way for students to never forget their time at the University of Miami, all while allowing them to win prizes and participate in UM traditions.

It’s called UM Tradition Keeper Program, an online guidebook and memory keepsake that students can use to have a personalized memento of their time as an undergraduate. It records university traditions like the Canes spell-out at football games and Homecoming.

“This book is an awesome resource for students who want to get to know UM traditions and want to be able to chronicle their way through their undergraduate career,” Sabrina Taldone said.

The online program includes general information about these traditions and allows students to chronicle their individual experiences.

Tradition Keeper has a “Learn More About this Tradition” option that describes why a specific occasion or place is a tradition in the first place.

If you upload a picture eating at the Rathskeller for example, a drop down menus provides you with background information about the Rat.

Submitting photos like these has rewards. Tradition Keeper awards prizes for completing certain tasks and is level based.

The first level is reached when five pictures of the specified traditions are uploaded, and the prize is a pair of UM sunglasses. The second level requires 10 pictures, and students earn a UM pin. The third and final level, reached after 20 pictures, gives students a UM medallion and the title of “Tradition Keeper.”

Tradition Keeper is available for free unless students want to purchase a finalized version of their books as a keepsake. All freshmen and seniors were sent an email with their login information, but sophomores and juniors and encouraged to participate as well.

This program has been in the works since Sabrina’s senior year at UM in 2010. Taldone had several friends who felt they were about to graduate but did not know university traditions well.

She and her mother created a list of traditions and after partnering with the Alumni Association, they created an online platform for students to engage with the traditions.

Taldone hopes that the program, which launched this year, will take flight and that everyone will be wearing their sunglasses come time for homecoming.

Students who are interested in Tradition Keeper should register at miami.edu/traditionkeeper. They can also call the Alumni Association at 305-284-2872, or email alumni@miami.edu.

Cindy Ferreiro

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...