Campus Life, News

Tradition Keeper Program provides digital record of student memories, Miami traditions

Alumna Sabrina Taldone and her mother Suzanne Taldone found a way for students to never forget their time at the University of Miami, all while allowing them to win prizes and participate in UM traditions.

It’s called UM Tradition Keeper Program, an online guidebook and memory keepsake that students can use to have a personalized memento of their time as an undergraduate. It records university traditions like the Canes spell-out at football games and Homecoming.

“This book is an awesome resource for students who want to get to know UM traditions and want to be able to chronicle their way through their undergraduate career,” Sabrina Taldone said.

The online program includes general information about these traditions and allows students to chronicle their individual experiences.

Tradition Keeper has a “Learn More About this Tradition” option that describes why a specific occasion or place is a tradition in the first place.

If you upload a picture eating at the Rathskeller for example, a drop down menus provides you with background information about the Rat.

Submitting photos like these has rewards. Tradition Keeper awards prizes for completing certain tasks and is level based.

The first level is reached when five pictures of the specified traditions are uploaded, and the prize is a pair of UM sunglasses. The second level requires 10 pictures, and students earn a UM pin. The third and final level, reached after 20 pictures, gives students a UM medallion and the title of “Tradition Keeper.”

Tradition Keeper is available for free unless students want to purchase a finalized version of their books as a keepsake. All freshmen and seniors were sent an email with their login information, but sophomores and juniors and encouraged to participate as well.

This program has been in the works since Sabrina’s senior year at UM in 2010. Taldone had several friends who felt they were about to graduate but did not know university traditions well.

She and her mother created a list of traditions and after partnering with the Alumni Association, they created an online platform for students to engage with the traditions.

Taldone hopes that the program, which launched this year, will take flight and that everyone will be wearing their sunglasses come time for homecoming.

Students who are interested in Tradition Keeper should register at miami.edu/traditionkeeper. They can also call the Alumni Association at 305-284-2872, or email alumni@miami.edu.

Cindy Ferreiro

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...