Blogs

Canadians take boat for illegal joy ride on Lake Osceola

In a stroke of humorous linguistic luck, two visiting Canadians were found oat and aboat in a boat.

Eleven minutes after midnight on Saturday August 31st, Officer Castillo was dispatched to Lake Osceola. Apparently two white males had taken the University of Miami’s 13-foot Boston Whaler on a late night joy ride without permission. The boat was last seen at midnight.

When Officer Castillo arrived on the scene, Kevin Robey, 21, and Andrew Bowman, 20, were exiting the boat. They had already taken it for a quick 10-minute spin and had returned it to the same location they had taken it from. No damages were reported on the vessel.

The pair was confused when they were greeted on shore with hostility. According to the incident report, they claimed to be “unaware that taking someone else’s boat was illegal in the U.S.”

The two are from Ontario, Canada and are not enrolled at UM.

The Canucks maintain they were visiting a friend who attends the university even though no one else was present at the time.

Officer Castillo issued a trespass warning and the two were escorted off campus peacefully. ICE agents were not contacted, and the university did not seek deportation.

The boat is usually kept on the loading dock adjacent to the pool. It is used primarily to clean any debris that falls into the lake and to maintain the fountain.

It is unclear how the boat bandits started the watercraft or their motive.

This post was originally published on Oct. 2 on tropicaldisturbanceum.wordpress.com.

Jess Swanson

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...