News, Profiles

Professor receives Emmy for work on ‘Boardwalk Empire’

Jeffery Stern poses for a portrait with his Emmy in the School of Communication on Thursday. Stern won an Emmy for his sound editing work on Boardwalk Empire. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

There is a little piece of Hollywood fame right here on campus – and it’s sitting on School of Communication professor Jeffrey Stern’s office, nestled between stacks of paper and his computer.

Stern was part of the team that was awarded an Emmy for Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series for season three of the HBO show “Boardwalk Empire.” Stern served as the dialogue editor.

“It’s nice to know your peers are listening and appreciating what you do,” said Stern, who teaches in the department of cinema and interactive media.

Before working on “Boardwalk Empire,” Stern had been a sound editor for more than 80 movies, including “Goodfellas,” “The Silence of the Lambs” and “Chicago.”

While this is Stern’s first Emmy win, it is his third nomination. He was nominated in 2003 for his work as sound editor on PBS’s “American Masters” series. In 2012, he was nominated for an Emmy for his role in the sound editing team for season two of “Boardwalk Empire.”

Professor Ed Talavera, the chair of the department of cinema and interactive media, said when he first heard about Stern’s nomination, he knew his colleague was going to take home the trophy.

“He is such a talented teacher and professional, that it was clear he was going to win,” he said.

Senior Kate Maier is a student in Stern’s sound editing class this semester. She said having an Emmy winner as a professor is “awesome.”

“He’s a great listener and has a lot of patience,” she said. “He’s just a really nice person.”

Maier and a friend were also in the audience when Stern received his award at the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards show on Sept. 15, which were held a week before the Primetime Emmys.

“He was so surprised to see us there,” she said. “It was pretty cool.”

But Stern did not always intend to be a sound editor, let alone an Emmy winner. When he graduated from college more than 30 years ago, Stern was a sculpture major who got into the field simply because there were jobs available.

“I didn’t immediately appreciate all the possibilities,” he said.

Now, he said sound editing is “a thrill” for him.

“You are trying to tell a story, and sound, like every other element in a movie, is at the beck and call of telling that story,” he said. “It’s pretty powerful.”

Jeffrey Stern, a School of Communication professor, was part of the sound editing team for the HBO series “Boardwalk Empire.” The show airs at 9 p.m. on Sundays.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...