News, Profiles

Professor receives Emmy for work on ‘Boardwalk Empire’

Jeffery Stern poses for a portrait with his Emmy in the School of Communication on Thursday. Stern won an Emmy for his sound editing work on Boardwalk Empire. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

There is a little piece of Hollywood fame right here on campus – and it’s sitting on School of Communication professor Jeffrey Stern’s office, nestled between stacks of paper and his computer.

Stern was part of the team that was awarded an Emmy for Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series for season three of the HBO show “Boardwalk Empire.” Stern served as the dialogue editor.

“It’s nice to know your peers are listening and appreciating what you do,” said Stern, who teaches in the department of cinema and interactive media.

Before working on “Boardwalk Empire,” Stern had been a sound editor for more than 80 movies, including “Goodfellas,” “The Silence of the Lambs” and “Chicago.”

While this is Stern’s first Emmy win, it is his third nomination. He was nominated in 2003 for his work as sound editor on PBS’s “American Masters” series. In 2012, he was nominated for an Emmy for his role in the sound editing team for season two of “Boardwalk Empire.”

Professor Ed Talavera, the chair of the department of cinema and interactive media, said when he first heard about Stern’s nomination, he knew his colleague was going to take home the trophy.

“He is such a talented teacher and professional, that it was clear he was going to win,” he said.

Senior Kate Maier is a student in Stern’s sound editing class this semester. She said having an Emmy winner as a professor is “awesome.”

“He’s a great listener and has a lot of patience,” she said. “He’s just a really nice person.”

Maier and a friend were also in the audience when Stern received his award at the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards show on Sept. 15, which were held a week before the Primetime Emmys.

“He was so surprised to see us there,” she said. “It was pretty cool.”

But Stern did not always intend to be a sound editor, let alone an Emmy winner. When he graduated from college more than 30 years ago, Stern was a sculpture major who got into the field simply because there were jobs available.

“I didn’t immediately appreciate all the possibilities,” he said.

Now, he said sound editing is “a thrill” for him.

“You are trying to tell a story, and sound, like every other element in a movie, is at the beck and call of telling that story,” he said. “It’s pretty powerful.”

Jeffrey Stern, a School of Communication professor, was part of the sound editing team for the HBO series “Boardwalk Empire.” The show airs at 9 p.m. on Sundays.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...