Politicians should place people before principle during shutdown

There is a recklessness in Washington, D.C., that has consequences extending beyond the mere 68 square miles of the capital district, the 535 members of Congress and the commander in chief.

Because of egotism, national leaders have chosen to hold the government hostage. As a result, political gamesmanship has been put ahead of the common people.

The real tragedy is that people and lives are being negatively affected by this government shutdown all across America.

The national parks, “crown jewels” in America’s backyard, have been shut down. The closing of these “public lands” has furloughed 21,000 employees of the park service.

Beyond that, imagine the business lost in the surrounding towns that depends on visitors and tourism. The hotels, tour operators and supply stores are suffering. From Acadia, Maine, to Yosemite, Calif., closing off these American treasures displays a total lack of propriety by our nation’s policy makers.

Moreover, a backbone for health and medical research, the National Institutes of Health is facing the effects of the shutdown alongside the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Employees are sent home, research studies are suspended and scientists seeking funding are delayed. It is simply just impolitic to impact these healthcare agencies, which promote the health and safety of human life.

Small businesses that cater to the services of government agencies and large blue-chip corporations that contract out to government departments are feeling the ripple effects as well. Defense companies are making moves to begin furloughing their employees. There is clearly a systemic fallout from this shutdown that requires an end to this brinkmanship.

Each side in this debate is reclined in its backrooms, plotting the next moves in what seems like a game of strategy. They find ways to hone their message, deliver to their base, and win this “battle” with the other side.

What they may have forgotten is that when people and lives are involved, it should never be a political game. Put people before politics.

Raymond La is a junior majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...