Politicians should place people before principle during shutdown

There is a recklessness in Washington, D.C., that has consequences extending beyond the mere 68 square miles of the capital district, the 535 members of Congress and the commander in chief.

Because of egotism, national leaders have chosen to hold the government hostage. As a result, political gamesmanship has been put ahead of the common people.

The real tragedy is that people and lives are being negatively affected by this government shutdown all across America.

The national parks, “crown jewels” in America’s backyard, have been shut down. The closing of these “public lands” has furloughed 21,000 employees of the park service.

Beyond that, imagine the business lost in the surrounding towns that depends on visitors and tourism. The hotels, tour operators and supply stores are suffering. From Acadia, Maine, to Yosemite, Calif., closing off these American treasures displays a total lack of propriety by our nation’s policy makers.

Moreover, a backbone for health and medical research, the National Institutes of Health is facing the effects of the shutdown alongside the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Employees are sent home, research studies are suspended and scientists seeking funding are delayed. It is simply just impolitic to impact these healthcare agencies, which promote the health and safety of human life.

Small businesses that cater to the services of government agencies and large blue-chip corporations that contract out to government departments are feeling the ripple effects as well. Defense companies are making moves to begin furloughing their employees. There is clearly a systemic fallout from this shutdown that requires an end to this brinkmanship.

Each side in this debate is reclined in its backrooms, plotting the next moves in what seems like a game of strategy. They find ways to hone their message, deliver to their base, and win this “battle” with the other side.

What they may have forgotten is that when people and lives are involved, it should never be a political game. Put people before politics.

Raymond La is a junior majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...