Edge, Movies, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Notable Roll Call

With celebrities like the Rock flashing the U on orientation videos, it’s not hard to imagine all the talent that has come from the University of Miami. The list of accomplished alumni has stretched far and wide since the school’s beginning. But just how many of UM’s famous alumni do you know? The Miami Hurricane has compiled a list of some notable UM students, a few of whom may surprise you.

EDGE_2

Donald Justice, Pulitzer Prize winner

Many UM grads enjoy the spotlight, dominating the screen, the stadium or the stage, but Donald Justice is notable for a different kind of glory. Described by the Poetry Foundation’s website as “one of the twentieth century’s most quietly influential poets,” this UM alumnus is known for his vast body of literary masterpieces in both poetry and prose. The Miami-born writer began at UM, studying music under Professor Carl Ruggles before switching his sights and earning a degree in English literature. Justice spent his career teaching at various universities and writing many critically acclaimed works, including his poetry collection, “Selected Poems,” for which he was awarded the 1980 Pulitzer Prize.

EDGE_5

Bob Clark, “A Christmas Story” director

You know the holiday season’s beginning when TBS starts playing “A Christmas Story” on a loop and everyone walks around yelling “I can’t put my arms down!” What you may not have realized is that the iconic movie was directed and co-written by a Cane. Bob Clark, who began studying at Hillsdalle College in Michigan, eventually came to UM to study theater. After college, Clark worked mainly on low-budget horror flicks before moving to comedies, including the “Porky’s” and “A Christmas Story,” released in 1982 and 1983, respectively.

EDGE_1

Patti Stanger, The Millionare Matchmaker

The Millionaire Matchmaker herself also started off as a Cane. Stanger told The Miami Hurricane in an interview that she matched her best friend with her husband while studying here. After graduating from UM with a bachelor of fine arts in film, she spent some time working in marketing and fashion before taking on the role as head of marketing at the dating service Great Expectations. In January 2000, she started up The Millionaire’s Club, which eventually led to her hit Bravo show “The Millionaire Matchmaker.”

EDGE_3

Enrique Iglesias, singer

Though most of us know him for his infectious music and wild dance moves, Iglesias actually spent a year at UM. The singer, whose father did not approve of his musical career, studied business between 1993 and 1994 before the release of his first album, “Enrique Iglesias,” in 1995. Though little is known about his short stint at the school, it has been stated that living in Miami influenced the famous crooner’s music.

EDGE_4

Jason Kennedy, E! News reporter

You’ve probably seen him interview starlets and chat up rappers, but this E! News reporter was once a UM kid, attending class, eating at the Rat, and even working for UMTV on the show “StormFront.” Kennedy, a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., native, began his career at a young age, appearing on-air by the time he was just 15. While at UM, Kennedy studied both theater and broadcast journalism. Professor Paul Driscoll, from the school of communications, described the TV personality as being “smart, personable, engaging and with a great attitude.” While at UM, Kennedy also received the Associated Press Award for Best News Feature in Florida. Kennedy graduated in 2004 and began working for E! a year later.

Marlee Lisker

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...