Soccer, Sports

Flinn scores twice as Miami beats No. 3 Notre Dame

Ashley Flinn drives past two Notre Dame players and scores a goal during the second half of Sunday's game. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

TWO FOR ONE: Junior Ashley Flinn drives past two Notre Dame players and scores late in the second half of Sunday’s game. Miami beat No. 3 Notre Dame 2-0, marking the second straight year the Canes defeated a top-five team.
Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Miami had been shut out in four of its past five games, but on Sunday the Canes flipped the script in a big way.

The Hurricanes blanked No. 3 Notre Dame 2-0 at Cobb Stadium for the season’s biggest win.

“We’ve been lucky to have all week to prepare for this game, and I honestly give the girls a ton of credit because we’ve been talking about the small details all season, and they really listened to the small details we talked about,” Miami coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “I’m so proud of them. We came in with a game plan, and when we perform it, you obviously see we find success.”

Ashley Flinn tallied both of the Canes’ goals in the win, extending her team lead.

The junior forward opened the scoring in the 52nd minute when she ran down a ball from the Miami back end, split through two Fighting Irish players and sent a bullet into the left upper 90.

“The long ball came in, and then I cut it back and it was just me and the goalie, and sometimes that’s the most dangerous situation you can have because you get too complacent,” Flinn said. “But I had a nice finish and then we were up 1–0, just trying to hold it.”

Flinn iced the game in the 84th minute, scoring on a beautiful strike from near the top of the box. Senior defender Tara Schwitter was credited with the assist.

Miami finally started clicking after its recent offensive slump.

“We applied a little bit more pressure, and we were able to pick off some good passes,” Monroe said. “And we wanted to attack, we didn’t want to be defensive-minded.”

The Hurricanes still showed up defensively, though, as the back line was superb, and junior goalkeeper Emily Lillard made six saves. It was Miami’s first shutout since the season opener.

For Miami (7-4, 2-4 ACC), the game was its third straight against a top-five opponent and its fifth against a top-12 team in the last six contests. This is the second consecutive year that the Canes have defeated a team in the top five, as they knocked off No. 1 Florida State last season.

Notre Dame (9-2-1, 5-1-1 ACC) snapped a seven-game unbeaten streak.

Monroe said Sunday’s quality win will provide momentum going forward.

“I think the confidence is skyrocketed for each and every one of them, and … everybody is just pumped and psyched to go into our next game,” she said.

That matchup will be at 7 p.m. Thursday at Cobb Stadium against another ACC newcomer, Pittsburgh.

Alex Schwartz

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...