Academics, News

Course offers hands-on museum curating experience at Lowe

Since May, students, faculty members and visitors have enjoyed the Lowe Art Museum’s fifth installment in the series called “ArtLab @ The Lowe.” The program provides students in the College of Arts and Sciences with hands-on experience in curating museum exhibitions.

The latest one, “From Ancient Art to Modern Molas: Recurring Themes in Indigenous Panama,” gives an inside look at Panama’s most important artistic traditions. Colorful textiles called molas are the main attraction of this exhibition; they help to tell stories about traditional life in Panama. The textiles were made by indigenous Guna women to express their identity and to generate income as well.

Molas are hand-stitched cotton panels and blouses made of a kind of cotton cloth that has multiple layers and multiple colors. They usually depict aspects of the women’s traditional lives along Panama’s islands. Sometimes the designs are abstract, but they are usually interpretations of marine life such as stingrays or crabs.

Traci Ardren was in charge of last spring’s ArtLab course. As an associate professor of anthropology, she is especially interested in New World prehistoric cultures. As an anthropological archaeologist, her research has concentrated on issues of identity and other forms of symbolic representation in the archeological record.

“ArtLab is one of my favorite courses,” she said.

The class explored the connections between the mola collection of the Lowe, the pre-Columbian pottery of the Cocle culture and modern Panamanian artists. Ardren has previously organized exhibitions for the permanent collection of the Lowe such as the first exhibition of Guatemalan textile.

One of the students in her class was Aimee Allen. A senior majoring in public relations and art history, she said she learned a lot throughout the semester.

“The classes were mostly research to begin with,” she said.

The classes consisted of articles and books that Ardren assigned to students to give background on the cultures and types of artwork that the students were researching.

“As part of the class, we traveled to the San Blas District in northeast Panama during Spring Break,” Allen said.

For four nights, the students got to experience Guna life and “interview the people and get their opinions on the molas from the Lowe’s collection.”

Senior Juan Pablo Sanchez, who is majoring in anthropology and art history, said his favorite part of the course was “putting it all together after we researched and traveled.”

Both agreed that the hands-on travel experience made a big difference.

“The collection included more than 150 works of art that we narrowed to less than 50 for the exhibition,” Allen said. “We controlled every aspect of the exhibit: the colors of the walls, the text, even how each piece was displayed.”

What: “From Ancient Art to Modern Molas: Recurring Themes in Indigenous Panama” ArtLab exhibit
Where: Lowe Art Musuem
When: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. The exhibit will be on display through April 27, 2014.
Tickets: Admission is free for UM students, faculty and staff with Cane Card.
For more information, visit miami.edu/lowe.

Ariana Molina

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...