Appreciate time in Miami

Everyone has something to leave for the next generation. As future professionals and alumni, we need to stop thinking about ourselves and think about what kind of university we want future students to inherit.

Future Canes can avoid experiencing the same struggles we do. All this requires is for students and alumni to give back to the university. The University of Miami would not be where it is today without Canes’ contributions of knowledge, money, resources and innovation.

Leaving a legacy requires filling a void at the university. You don’t have to have a large personal fortune to leave a legacy. You just need a vision and the means to see it through. For example, our alma mater was comprised of students who used their musical talents to pay a lasting tribute to UM.

Your legacy can be a groundbreaking thesis or innovative research. It can also be founding a student organization or campus initiative. Every year, new student orgs are created in order to serve a need or increase awareness about a specific culture, religion or social issue.

Student Government presidents have left a legacy through the U statute installed last year. Alumni can also leave a legacy by providing scholarships to specific student populations or making a donation that results in the beautification of campus.

At the end of four years, students should be able to look back and see what change they helped bring about on campus.

We should take advantage of the resources available to us here at the university and allow it to enrich our lives. But, for everything we take, we should also give something back.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...