Appreciate time in Miami

Everyone has something to leave for the next generation. As future professionals and alumni, we need to stop thinking about ourselves and think about what kind of university we want future students to inherit.

Future Canes can avoid experiencing the same struggles we do. All this requires is for students and alumni to give back to the university. The University of Miami would not be where it is today without Canes’ contributions of knowledge, money, resources and innovation.

Leaving a legacy requires filling a void at the university. You don’t have to have a large personal fortune to leave a legacy. You just need a vision and the means to see it through. For example, our alma mater was comprised of students who used their musical talents to pay a lasting tribute to UM.

Your legacy can be a groundbreaking thesis or innovative research. It can also be founding a student organization or campus initiative. Every year, new student orgs are created in order to serve a need or increase awareness about a specific culture, religion or social issue.

Student Government presidents have left a legacy through the U statute installed last year. Alumni can also leave a legacy by providing scholarships to specific student populations or making a donation that results in the beautification of campus.

At the end of four years, students should be able to look back and see what change they helped bring about on campus.

We should take advantage of the resources available to us here at the university and allow it to enrich our lives. But, for everything we take, we should also give something back.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...