Should we question paying underdog teams?

There are advantages to being one of the worst football teams in the country. For one, it means the team gets tons of publicity all thanks to the best teams in the country who have kicked their butts once again.

Even though everyone knows about how much the team sucks, with this publicity, comes great amounts of money. That’s because teams like our very own Hurricanes will pay them to play us.

A bad team like Savannah State is apparently worth $375,000, which is how much we paid for the game the weekend of Sept. 21. This underdog received $850,000 last year from Florida State University and Oklahoma State alone just to play. The catch is, teams like Savannah State were never paid to lose, just paid to play.

Why would teams that clearly out-rank others want to play a team at the bottom of the ladder? While it seems that games like these are set up just to improve the ranking of better teams, there may be other reasons involved.

Coaches from these big teams say that rookies that aren’t going to get much play during more important games can finally play against someone closer to their skill level. It also allows for the team to practice and fine tune certain aspects of their game without having to worry about losing. It may even be giving these less-abled teams the chance to play better competition so that next time, they know what it takes to be better.

Or maybe, this is all just a scam to keep the rankings for teams like UM and FSU high. Should this be illegal?

Nadijah Campbell

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...