Blogs

“Has Anyone Seen My Footy Pajamas?” Inaugural Address

elaine-dance

Hello everyone, and welcome to Has Anyone Seen my Footy Pajamas? My name is Danny New, and sometimes I get worried that my knee-high white socks aren’t earning me enough “cred” on the basketball court.

This blog is different than any you have seen. Most are centered on trying to give a good impression and making yourself seem cooler as you sit in your underwear on a Friday night blogging about Pretty Little Liars.

However, I am totally open about jeering at my quirky, goofy demeanor. It may not always be apparent, but I hold onto a dorky, awkward side that is unleashed at the worst occasions; and I am not hiding it from anyone. Laughing at my mistakes and silly anecdotes are just too entertaining to be withheld from the world.

Awkward things that have happened to me since I arrived in Miami:

• While in line at a club in the Coconut Grove, a strange man offered me some “White Girl,” and I replied, “Where is she?”
    • Apparently “White Girl” is another name for cocaine – nobody told me.
  • I stood in a gas station for a half hour waiting for an employee to come fill my fuel canister. (#JerseyStrong)
  • I excitedly asked when the Muggle Quidditch Team was ordering Varsity Jackets.

In other words, I am proud to be part of an elite group of people who thrive off of being unusual and silly. People who obsess over corny puns. People who get all fuzzy inside when they buy tropical colored post-it notes. People who still say “swag.”

Now, I’m not saying that I have no friends and that I am a miserable outcast, because I’m not. I’m a Broadcast Journalism major and I love talking to people and being the center of attention. That being said, that attention usually stems from me tripping over an abnormally large dust particle.

In other words, I’m goofy. I’m childish. I’m different. And best of all, I want to tell you about it.

COMING UP NEXT: “Mayonnaise…Condiment of the gods?”

Danny New

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...