Edge, Food

Mixt’s blend of cultures thrives with clear, natural flavors

When you first hear the concept of Mixt, the new restaurant off Sunset Drive, you can’t help but be dubious. Peruvian and Japanese cuisines, at first glance, do not seem to be obviously compatible. However, both feature raw or at least nontraditionally prepared fish (ceviche and sushi, respectively) and place a strong emphasis on clear, natural flavors. And at Mixt, those flavors steal the show.

Mixt’s dining area is quite small. With only five tables and a small sushi bar, the walls’ electric-green hue brings to mind bright citrus flavors. A small bowl of canchita, roasted Peruvian corn, is a buttery treat while you peruse your menu. While the atmosphere is certainly pleasant, it isn’t the main draw, and under scrutiny, slight flaws can appear. The service, on the other hand, was flawless. Professional and friendly, our waitress was attentive without being overbearing and made the meal a haven at the end of a hectic day.

To start, my table sampled the house ceviche. The citrus flavors were bright and pleasant, but didn’t overpower the star of the show – the profoundly fresh fish. The onions were drained of any acridity by the marinade, which was good enough that one of my dining companions was compelled to drink it after the course. The presentation should also be noted, as it was bright, colorful and pleasing to the eye, as opposed to drab ceviches I’ve consumed. However, the presentation didn’t work on all points. The cold sweet potato was just peculiar and dull compared to the bright flavors of the rest of the dish. Additional canchita in the ceviche was just redundant, not nearly as pleasant when served cold. Overall, however, the ceviche was superb and a pleasant start to our meal.

Up next, we decided to sample the other end of the spectrum – sushi.  The sushi presentation was one of the most creative and stunning I’ve seen. Varieties of sauces are swirled in intricate pinwheels, and small cups of leche de tigre to accompany it were affixed to plates by bright buttons of wasabi.  Some of the house sauce blends, while beautiful, were a tad too sweet, and we quickly decided to stick to plain soy sauce.

The Green Hornet Maki was stunning, tempura shrimp providing a nice crunch. On the other hand, while the spider Maki was tasty, its cumbersome size made eating it too much of a chore to make a pleasant and relaxed meal. The sushi boat for two was ample, and no complaints can be levied about the quality of the fish. One can tell the quality of tuna from its color, the darker and browner, the less fresh it is, and I am happy to report that Mixt’s tuna was gem bright, and the difference was immense. With the sushi boat for two, roast potatoes and hard boiled eggs in a Peruvian style were served, and while bland on their own, served as a perfect stage for the Peruvian dipping sauces that accompanied the platter. I would recommend choosing the miso soup with the sushi boat, as it is zesty and flavorful, with a deep richness one often doesn’t find in broth soups, while the salad, although fresh, was perfectly ordinary.

Now, if any room has been left for dessert, and with the ample portions, that is certainly called into doubt, once again simple, well-executed flavors shine. Our table sampled the Thai donuts, which were beautiful, warm puffs of dough sweetened with warmed condensed milk.  Light enough to enjoy after a filling meal, it was a perfect cap.

Prices at Mixt are reasonable, ranging from about $10 to $25 at most, and you’ll certainly leave satisfied. While minor issues came up, they were quickly forgotten in the glow of the delicious food, and the pleasant atmosphere Mixt creates. Although it faces tough competition in Miami’s fierce culinary scene, I predict Mixt will be pleasing palates for a long time to come.

Mixt is located at 7209 SW 59th Ave., South Miami. For more information, call 305-666-3019 or visit facebook.com/MIXTSushi.

Blake Weil

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...