Blogs

Get Real: Here’s the Reason Why

carrot

Call me blunt. But, hey, this is my blog. This is what I have to say: Get real.

To the folks still smoking out by Richter Library: Get real. The carcinogens in your cigarette are harmful to you and those around you. Plus, smoking is not even allowed on campus anymore.

To the AvMed billboard a mile from campus: Get real. “Embrace health” does not only mean rejoicing at the number on the scale, because health is so much more than someone’s mass times the force of gravity.

To the UM students who choose to drive their car one mile from campus to Publix: Get real. You probably could have (and should have) biked or walked there. Reduce your carbon emissions, elevate your heart rate, and soak up some Vitamin D all at the same time.

Welcome to my blog, Get Real. This is my plea to the University of Miami community and beyond to challenge their pre-conceived notions of health by looking at the facts so that everyone may live well. I love data. I apologize; I am studying engineering.

Indulge me while I smatter this blog with articles and resources I find applicable to my everyday health observations. Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to wellness.

If all four of my grandparents knew what we know today about good nutrition, perhaps they would not all be afflicted by diabetes right now. I want the best for them. I want the best for everyone else, too.

Here it is. Take what I have to say or leave your unhealthy habits as they are. This is for everyone. This is for life.

Natasha Koermer

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...