Blogs

Get Real: Here’s the Reason Why

carrot

Call me blunt. But, hey, this is my blog. This is what I have to say: Get real.

To the folks still smoking out by Richter Library: Get real. The carcinogens in your cigarette are harmful to you and those around you. Plus, smoking is not even allowed on campus anymore.

To the AvMed billboard a mile from campus: Get real. “Embrace health” does not only mean rejoicing at the number on the scale, because health is so much more than someone’s mass times the force of gravity.

To the UM students who choose to drive their car one mile from campus to Publix: Get real. You probably could have (and should have) biked or walked there. Reduce your carbon emissions, elevate your heart rate, and soak up some Vitamin D all at the same time.

Welcome to my blog, Get Real. This is my plea to the University of Miami community and beyond to challenge their pre-conceived notions of health by looking at the facts so that everyone may live well. I love data. I apologize; I am studying engineering.

Indulge me while I smatter this blog with articles and resources I find applicable to my everyday health observations. Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to wellness.

If all four of my grandparents knew what we know today about good nutrition, perhaps they would not all be afflicted by diabetes right now. I want the best for them. I want the best for everyone else, too.

Here it is. Take what I have to say or leave your unhealthy habits as they are. This is for everyone. This is for life.

Natasha Koermer

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...