Co-ed housing lessens stress

It’s no secret that the University of Miami’s housing process can be stressful. Part of the issue is that housing isn’t guaranteed for all four years, but part is also owed to the same-sex roommate rule.

The department of housing has a policy that if you’re living on campus, you have to live with someone of the same gender. This causes certain students to struggle with finding a good roommate, and many decide to move off campus.

Last spring, I was placed in the dorms, but all of my potential roommates had been placed in the UV. Looking for some sort of solution, I consulted some male friends about rooming together. If I was cool with living with boys, they didn’t mind.

However, to live together we needed an apartment. So I had a choice: Live with a “rando” roomie, or move off campus to be with people I knew and trusted. It was quite the dilemma, thanks to the university’s policy on same-sex roommates.

Some people might argue that having co-ed rooms could cause domestic issues between roommates, especially romantic partners. Frankly, there are conflicts every year between same-sex roommates, and some even escalate to physical fights.

Additionally, if I were a lesbian, I could live with my girlfriend without problems from housing. If that’s not a question of domestic or romantic issues, then why is it if I live with my boyfriend?

According to John Baldessari, director of housing operations and facilities, the motivation for the same-sex roommate rule is logistical. With the current bathroom configurations, Housing is concerned that co-ed rooms would detract from student’s comfort in their own dorms.

I understand that some students might be uncomfortable with co-ed rooms. Trust me, I’m not looking to have a guy walk in on me in the shower; I’d just like to live with a man if I choose.

If we could opt-in for co-ed housing just like we opt-in for singles or suites, we could cater to both sides of the issue. The UV seems like the perfect place to start, as many of the UV units have private bathrooms.

This would effectively neutralize the need for gender-specific housing and would give students more flexibility with roommates. Coincidentally, Baldessari noted that his department is exploring the idea of “gender-neutral” housing.

What would “gender-neutral” housing look like? To me, it would mean giving students another opportunity to take responsibility for their lifestyle choices. If we’re old enough to essentially live on our own, then we should be trusted to decide who we want to live with, regardless of sex.

Amanda Wood is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and biology.

Amanda Wood

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...