Co-ed housing lessens stress

It’s no secret that the University of Miami’s housing process can be stressful. Part of the issue is that housing isn’t guaranteed for all four years, but part is also owed to the same-sex roommate rule.

The department of housing has a policy that if you’re living on campus, you have to live with someone of the same gender. This causes certain students to struggle with finding a good roommate, and many decide to move off campus.

Last spring, I was placed in the dorms, but all of my potential roommates had been placed in the UV. Looking for some sort of solution, I consulted some male friends about rooming together. If I was cool with living with boys, they didn’t mind.

However, to live together we needed an apartment. So I had a choice: Live with a “rando” roomie, or move off campus to be with people I knew and trusted. It was quite the dilemma, thanks to the university’s policy on same-sex roommates.

Some people might argue that having co-ed rooms could cause domestic issues between roommates, especially romantic partners. Frankly, there are conflicts every year between same-sex roommates, and some even escalate to physical fights.

Additionally, if I were a lesbian, I could live with my girlfriend without problems from housing. If that’s not a question of domestic or romantic issues, then why is it if I live with my boyfriend?

According to John Baldessari, director of housing operations and facilities, the motivation for the same-sex roommate rule is logistical. With the current bathroom configurations, Housing is concerned that co-ed rooms would detract from student’s comfort in their own dorms.

I understand that some students might be uncomfortable with co-ed rooms. Trust me, I’m not looking to have a guy walk in on me in the shower; I’d just like to live with a man if I choose.

If we could opt-in for co-ed housing just like we opt-in for singles or suites, we could cater to both sides of the issue. The UV seems like the perfect place to start, as many of the UV units have private bathrooms.

This would effectively neutralize the need for gender-specific housing and would give students more flexibility with roommates. Coincidentally, Baldessari noted that his department is exploring the idea of “gender-neutral” housing.

What would “gender-neutral” housing look like? To me, it would mean giving students another opportunity to take responsibility for their lifestyle choices. If we’re old enough to essentially live on our own, then we should be trusted to decide who we want to live with, regardless of sex.

Amanda Wood is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and biology.

Amanda Wood

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...