Co-ed housing lessens stress

It’s no secret that the University of Miami’s housing process can be stressful. Part of the issue is that housing isn’t guaranteed for all four years, but part is also owed to the same-sex roommate rule.

The department of housing has a policy that if you’re living on campus, you have to live with someone of the same gender. This causes certain students to struggle with finding a good roommate, and many decide to move off campus.

Last spring, I was placed in the dorms, but all of my potential roommates had been placed in the UV. Looking for some sort of solution, I consulted some male friends about rooming together. If I was cool with living with boys, they didn’t mind.

However, to live together we needed an apartment. So I had a choice: Live with a “rando” roomie, or move off campus to be with people I knew and trusted. It was quite the dilemma, thanks to the university’s policy on same-sex roommates.

Some people might argue that having co-ed rooms could cause domestic issues between roommates, especially romantic partners. Frankly, there are conflicts every year between same-sex roommates, and some even escalate to physical fights.

Additionally, if I were a lesbian, I could live with my girlfriend without problems from housing. If that’s not a question of domestic or romantic issues, then why is it if I live with my boyfriend?

According to John Baldessari, director of housing operations and facilities, the motivation for the same-sex roommate rule is logistical. With the current bathroom configurations, Housing is concerned that co-ed rooms would detract from student’s comfort in their own dorms.

I understand that some students might be uncomfortable with co-ed rooms. Trust me, I’m not looking to have a guy walk in on me in the shower; I’d just like to live with a man if I choose.

If we could opt-in for co-ed housing just like we opt-in for singles or suites, we could cater to both sides of the issue. The UV seems like the perfect place to start, as many of the UV units have private bathrooms.

This would effectively neutralize the need for gender-specific housing and would give students more flexibility with roommates. Coincidentally, Baldessari noted that his department is exploring the idea of “gender-neutral” housing.

What would “gender-neutral” housing look like? To me, it would mean giving students another opportunity to take responsibility for their lifestyle choices. If we’re old enough to essentially live on our own, then we should be trusted to decide who we want to live with, regardless of sex.

Amanda Wood is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and biology.

Amanda Wood

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...