Edge, Q & A + Profiles

Pre-med student balances academics, passions

Sophomore Camilo Martinez poses for a portrait with his microphone and stand at the Memorial Building on Friday September 27th. Martinez has been making music since he was 15. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

CHASING DREAMS: Sophomore Camilo Martinez has been making music since he was 15. The pre-med student recently released his video for “Skyfall.” He promotes himself and records his own music from home, using multitrack recording application called Mixcraft 5.
Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricane’s next University of Miami musician in the spotlight is sophomore Camilo Martinez. Martinez, a pre-med student with a special interest in oncology, balances academics with his passion for writing and recording hip-hop music.

Martinez does the majority of the production himself, recording and releasing tracks online. His latest video, “Skyfall,” which he shot with a friend in Wynwood, was recently released on YouTube.

Getting Behind the Mic

Though Martinez enjoyed hip-hop at a young age, it wasn’t until 10th grade that he first considered making music. One of his friends had started recording tracks and convinced him to give it a shot.

“The first songs were pretty bad,” admits Martinez.

But he persisted, purchasing his own equipment and teaming up with an audio engineer he knew. Once the engineer moved away, Martinez began making music on his own.

One-Man Operation

Martinez now records his music from home, using multitrack recording application Mixcraft 5.

“I’ve tried to link with engineers here at school, but that’s a very difficult process because it’s when they want to and if they want to,” Martinez said.

He promotes his music on Facebook and YouTube, as well as maintaining a personal website. Recently, Martinez discovered his passion for editing videos and began releasing those as well.

“My first video, it took me nine hours to edit,” he said. “It flew by.”

Balancing Act 

Martinez hopes to attend medical school at UM once he completes the pre-med track. He is working toward that goal by shadowing and volunteering at cancer centers and hospitals. In addition, he is the physician-shadowing coordinator for the student organization AMSA and participates in Relay for Life. He also runs competitively in local races and 5Ks. As a commuter, Martinez doesn’t waste any time, spending the 45-minute car ride listening to music and brainstorming ideas for future projects.

“How I follow both passions is something that I would have never thought I could do here,” said Martinez, who appreciates the chance to pursue both at UM.

Inspiration and Goals 

In addition to recording music, Martinez continues to be an avid music fan. In particular, he admires Cris Cab, a local reggae and pop artist with a growing audience.

“He inspires me to continue and promote my own Cuban influence,” said Martinez, who spoke of his dreams to collaborate with Cab.

When it comes to hip-hop, he listens to Logic, who recently signed with Def Jam Recordings, and On Cue. Listening to these artists motivates Martinez to begin networking with people in the industry. He aspires to open for artists like Mac Miller. Martinez speaks of Miller’s fame as an inspiration.

“Getting to that point where I have a solid support, anything could happen,” he said.

For more information, check out Martinez’s website at camilotivo.com. Check out youtube.com/watch?v=UsbB24NYb-4 to see his latest video, “Skyfall.”

Marlee Lisker

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...