Prioritize making time to have time

As motivational speaker Michael Altshuler says, “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.”

We could delve into the concept of time philosophically, Biblically or scientifically, but frankly I am not willing to “make” time for this. Rather, this simple idea should give us perspective about prioritizing and making time for what is important.

It may seem like paper deadlines are constantly looming. Each week barrels us closer toward midterms, leaving us feeling constrained by a knot that tightens until we’re gasping for air.

However, there are 525,600 minutes in a year. Let’s say you live 75 years. Your entire life would consist of 39,945,600 minutes. We rush through our lives day to day, class to class and, ultimately, beginning to end. But humans are the only creatures with a real concept of time. We allow it to control and restrain us. So one thing is certain: You’ve got time. The key is choosing how to utilize it.

“I don’t have time” is a phrase about as popular for college students as finding reasons to be famous is for the Kardashians. But there is a key misnomer in this statement. It is not that you don’t “have” time, instead you will not “make” time.

For example, despite the many club positions and schoolwork that demand the majority of my daily hours, I always make time to go to the gym. While students are busy, if they don’t have one hour to devote to an activity like exercise, then it is not something of true importance to them.

While this mantra may emerge in college, or even high school, be careful that it does not continue throughout one’s lifetime. If you never “make” time for friends or family, then they decide they may respond in a similar way.

Ultimately, it is not really about time. It is about your values and priorities. By not “having” time, you are actually consciously choosing what is important to you. And I really hope that’s not the Kardashians.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...