Prioritize making time to have time

As motivational speaker Michael Altshuler says, “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.”

We could delve into the concept of time philosophically, Biblically or scientifically, but frankly I am not willing to “make” time for this. Rather, this simple idea should give us perspective about prioritizing and making time for what is important.

It may seem like paper deadlines are constantly looming. Each week barrels us closer toward midterms, leaving us feeling constrained by a knot that tightens until we’re gasping for air.

However, there are 525,600 minutes in a year. Let’s say you live 75 years. Your entire life would consist of 39,945,600 minutes. We rush through our lives day to day, class to class and, ultimately, beginning to end. But humans are the only creatures with a real concept of time. We allow it to control and restrain us. So one thing is certain: You’ve got time. The key is choosing how to utilize it.

“I don’t have time” is a phrase about as popular for college students as finding reasons to be famous is for the Kardashians. But there is a key misnomer in this statement. It is not that you don’t “have” time, instead you will not “make” time.

For example, despite the many club positions and schoolwork that demand the majority of my daily hours, I always make time to go to the gym. While students are busy, if they don’t have one hour to devote to an activity like exercise, then it is not something of true importance to them.

While this mantra may emerge in college, or even high school, be careful that it does not continue throughout one’s lifetime. If you never “make” time for friends or family, then they decide they may respond in a similar way.

Ultimately, it is not really about time. It is about your values and priorities. By not “having” time, you are actually consciously choosing what is important to you. And I really hope that’s not the Kardashians.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...