Campus Life, News

Gables Bike Day raises awareness for biker safety

For the first time in its three-year history, Gables Bike Day organizers are creating a bike route connecting the University of Miami campus to Miracle Mile as a way to further encourage participation among UM students and faculty.

The annual Gables Bike Day held from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 20 is an event presented by the downtown Coral Gables and the Miracle Mile business improvement districts to promote cycling and educate the community about traffic laws as well as encourage bicycle commuting.

Robert Ruano, founding chair of Bike Walk Coral Gables, envisions the entire Gables area with protected bike lanes and striped routes, where students and residents can feel safe to ride.

“That’s our ultimate goal and why we work so hard to provide a community event that everyone can enjoy and meet people that want the same for our city,” he said.

The student organization UBike is preparing a group of students to travel together and is hosting a UBike Bike Sale and Safety Expo on Oct. 14 and 15 at the Rock. The department of parking and transportation will also work with UBike to set up the event.

At the expo, All 4 Cycling will be selling bicycles, and Bike Safe will give presentations about bicycle safety. The Dolphin Cycling Challenge will also be promoting its event, a charity fundraiser that supports cancer research.

“The event is an opportunity for the university community to be exposed to all things bicycling in South Florida,” said Ricardo Herran, who works for UM campus planning and development.

Last year, more than 4,000 people participated in Gables Bike Day. The bike path will feature scenic guided tours that pass architectural sites and gardens throughout Gables.

Bike Day will be sponsored by Bill Bone Pro-Am and will offer food vendors, children’s play areas such as face painting and clowns, hourly bike tours and nonprofit and educational booths about biking.

Local musicians and bands, like Oriente and Nil Lara, will perform at the event as well.

What: Gables Bike Day

When: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 20

Where: Miracle Mile and Coral Gables areas

For more information, visit bikewalkcoralgables.com. Miracle Mile will be closed to traffic, but shops and restaurants will remain open for business. There will be free bike valet stations set up at two locations along the event route. 

Layla Haidrani

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...