Athletics, Football, Sports

Football legend stresses leadership, discipline

Miami’s most iconic football star made his triumphant return to campus Wednesday for “An Evening with Ray Lewis.”

Lewis, the longtime face of the Baltimore Ravens after three seasons at the University of Miami (1993-1996), delivered two speeches to groups of students gathered at the Student Activities Center ballroom.

The event was hosted by Hurricane Productions and Student Government.

Lewis reminisced about his Miami glory days and reminded the audience to keep their opportunities in perspective.

Curiously, Lewis was not heavily recruited out of high school, though he starred in both football and wrestling at home in Lakeland, Fla.

Lewis took a trip to Tallahassee, Fla., but turned down a scholarship offer from Florida State when he found out he would have to play behind their veteran linebackers. His peers criticized his impatience thinking he’d blown the best chance to play at the next level.

But four days prior to National Signing Day, UM offered Lewis a scholarship.

He recalls that Miami’s longtime offensive line coach, Art Kehoe, and former head coach, Dennis Erickson, happened to catch his last high school game because they were interested in an opposing player.

When Lewis got the call from Miami, he knew “it wasn’t about ability, it was about effort.”

As Lewis, 38, looked back on his career he said, “I shared this battlefield with a lot of warriors who I respect the utmost.”

But still, his fondest UM memory is getting dropped off for the first time in 1993.

“I was the guy on the bottom of the totem pole,” Lewis said.

Then-freshman Ray Lewis was discouraged to learn that he’d been left out of the Hurricanes media guide for his first year. By the time he signed his scholarship papers, it had already gone to print.

But he capitalized on the chance to build his name from scratch.

“When you talk about UM, you must honor and respect the brand,” he said.

As Lewis grew into a football legend, he established a work ethic based on the opportunities he saw ahead. He was determined to avoid a fate similar to countless other youths from his disadvantaged background.

“Nine out of 10 of us never made it out, and even if you made it out, most of us found our way back,” he said.

He went on to earn two All-American selections as a Hurricane, and then won two Super Bowls and was selected for the Pro Bowl 13 times during his 17-year NFL career.

Lewis, whose inspirational speeches have become something of an institution in the world of football, covered a lot of ground in one hour.

He mentioned the importance of finding balance among one’s mind, body and spirit. He talked about discipline and motivation, challenging the audience to become “your own leaders.”

“I’ve been looking forward to hearing Ray for weeks,” senior Justin Green said. “He speaks with such emotion, and it’s exciting to hear from a Miami legend.”

For Lewis, the bottom line he hoped to communicate Wednesday was to not take things for granted.

“I don’t know about tomorrow. Yesterday is already gone. So just give me today,” he said.

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...