Blogs

Don’t fall short this season

Although the leaves may not turn orange and glide through the air as they drop from the trees, we still have autumn here in Miami… right? I guess you could say our version of fall is just a little different than what the rest of the world may anticipate from the “colorful” season.

Here, the leaves stay the same shade of bright green year round, the sun beats down just as strongly as it did during the summer days, and the idea of wearing anything but shorts and sandals on days like these is practically taboo.

Despite our seasonal shortcomings, fall is still a time of change — change from the slow pace of summer, change in experiences, change in goals, and a change in everything that our future holds. With all of these changes, it only makes sense that many of us attempt the futile when it comes to changing our wardrobe as well.

You may be wearing shorts and flip flops, but I see you throwing on that cardigan on top. And what about those combat and rain boots you’re pairing with your denim short and T-shirt ensemble? I see that, too. “How about I trade in the shorts for jeans, but I’ll still wear a tank top to keep cool?” you think as you drudgingly get dressed, attempting to switch it up from the summer day sartorial norm.

Well, as us here in Miami attempt to make a change out of what seems like one long summer season, the rest of the country is moving on, leaving us with some inspiration to work into our wardrobes.

A fresh batch of collections was recently sent down the runways of New York Fashion Week, with many trend commonalities that we can try to adapt and make our own. This season, try throwing in a pop of purple using light shades, such as lavender, a color sent down many runways that is easy and cool for the harsh, hot climate.

Other trends include fringes, full skirts, breezy sheer paneling and plaid. All of the aforementioned looks can be worked in easily and comfortably during the usual day-to-day. For a sheer yet put-together look on the weekends, lightweight slip dresses will work perfectly and will be right on trend.

If Mother Nature won’t provide us with autumn, we’ll take matters into our own hands.

Estrella Levy

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...