Blogs

Don’t fall short this season

Although the leaves may not turn orange and glide through the air as they drop from the trees, we still have autumn here in Miami… right? I guess you could say our version of fall is just a little different than what the rest of the world may anticipate from the “colorful” season.

Here, the leaves stay the same shade of bright green year round, the sun beats down just as strongly as it did during the summer days, and the idea of wearing anything but shorts and sandals on days like these is practically taboo.

Despite our seasonal shortcomings, fall is still a time of change — change from the slow pace of summer, change in experiences, change in goals, and a change in everything that our future holds. With all of these changes, it only makes sense that many of us attempt the futile when it comes to changing our wardrobe as well.

You may be wearing shorts and flip flops, but I see you throwing on that cardigan on top. And what about those combat and rain boots you’re pairing with your denim short and T-shirt ensemble? I see that, too. “How about I trade in the shorts for jeans, but I’ll still wear a tank top to keep cool?” you think as you drudgingly get dressed, attempting to switch it up from the summer day sartorial norm.

Well, as us here in Miami attempt to make a change out of what seems like one long summer season, the rest of the country is moving on, leaving us with some inspiration to work into our wardrobes.

A fresh batch of collections was recently sent down the runways of New York Fashion Week, with many trend commonalities that we can try to adapt and make our own. This season, try throwing in a pop of purple using light shades, such as lavender, a color sent down many runways that is easy and cool for the harsh, hot climate.

Other trends include fringes, full skirts, breezy sheer paneling and plaid. All of the aforementioned looks can be worked in easily and comfortably during the usual day-to-day. For a sheer yet put-together look on the weekends, lightweight slip dresses will work perfectly and will be right on trend.

If Mother Nature won’t provide us with autumn, we’ll take matters into our own hands.

Estrella Levy

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...