Blogs

A tale of two cities: The differences in drinking

Miami sunshine, palm trees everywhere and South Beach a mere drive away. No, it’s not an advertisement. It’s an actual description of the University of Miami, where I’m currently studying for the semester.

Despite the warnings I’d heard that the “American Dream” only exists in movies, having lived here for a month now, I think it’s safe to say that’s completely wrong. With a state-of-the-art gym, a brand new Student Activities Center featuring picturesque views, and an on-campus pool where you can relax  between classes with brand-new friends, it’s a little hard to remember that I’m here for college when the campus looks more like a beach resort.

The transition wasn’t as difficult as I had expected, but I’ve encountered many surprising differences here. The first major difference has been the drinking scene, which is nothing like what it is in the United Kingdom. Across the Atlantic, it’s common to have loud pre-drinking games in your dorms, beer and vodka bottles are strewn around communal areas, and left over kebabs at 3 a.m. are the norm.

However, alcohol is strictly prohibited all over the university, except for one location on campus – the Rathskeller. This is the only bar to have a casual drink (ID is required), and even adults on the main streets of America are prohibited from openly drinking from an alcohol bottle.

With the drinking age at 21, I’ve noticed that students usually resort to getting a fake ID. For the most part, Brits can think back to how alcohol was purchased when they were around 16 (paying people to purchase alcohol), and that would describe what American college students still do.

Furthermore, universities in the U.S. employ residential assistants. Think you’ve finally escaped from the watch of your parents? Think again. Residential colleges place an RA on every floor. Among other things, they are there to ensure that underage people are not drinking, and that legal aged students are not providing alcohol for younger people.

That’s not to say that this has put a downer on drinking at the University of Miami. In terms of the social side of college, UM knows how to party and definitely lives by the motto, “Work hard, play harder.”

Hundreds of students usually flock to the Grove Thursday nights, which has many college-aged bars. Fridays and Saturdays usually consist of an endless stream of frat parties, house parties and pool parties. Fraternities (yes, they really do exist outside of American movies) usually host parties on most weekends (think red cups, huge Greek letters outside of a house where frat brothers live and beer pong) when frat row is buzzing with people.

Be warned: Fraternities, for the most part, only let women women into their parties; males are rarely allowed to enter. I’ve also been lucky enough to party in South Beach, as I’m 21, which was an amazing experience. I’ll definitely be doing that a lot more often in the next few weeks.

Layla Haidrani

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...