Texting, driving should never mix

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez

Since school started, two people have fallen down the stairs right in front of me. Not because they are clumsy, but because they were texting. After asking if they were all right, my next thought was, “Was that text really that important?” I bet they’re Tweeting about it: “LOL just fell down the stairs #clumsy #onlyme #stairs.”

Students are accustomed to being social on the go, and this extends to all forms of transportation. Students already text on the go while skateboarding, biking, roller-skating and, most dangerously, driving.

People are becoming more aware of the danger of distracted driving thanks to the Florida Department of Transportation and national campaigns. But it’s one thing to hear information and another to put it into practice.

A new law in Florida that goes into effect Tuesday makes texting and driving illegal. It will be the 41st state to ban the act; however, Florida is in the minority in considering texting while driving only a secondary offense. This means that a driver would have to be pulled over for something else and would then be issued a citation for texting.

We’ve heard the campaigns and the staggering facts. Despite that, we’ve all tried to finish a text while hitting the gas, even though we know texting takes our eyes of the road for 4.6 seconds, enough to cause a tragedy, according to distraction.gov.

At this university, we’ve been inundated by facts, safety fairs and awareness events to help us realize the potential dangers of texting and driving, but statewide that’s not the case.

The state will not be granting funds for the FDOT to stage a major campaign to make the public aware of the law. Because we have been exposed to this information, we should be wise enough to change our habits.

It’s up to each driver to take personal responsibility and put the phone down. Life is more precious than a missed text, and it may be your life or the life of another that is at risk. It’s time to look up and face the world. I know it’s important to stay connected, but wait until you’re stationary to do so.

Ashley Martinez is a junior majoring in journalism and psychology.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...