Texting, driving should never mix

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez

Since school started, two people have fallen down the stairs right in front of me. Not because they are clumsy, but because they were texting. After asking if they were all right, my next thought was, “Was that text really that important?” I bet they’re Tweeting about it: “LOL just fell down the stairs #clumsy #onlyme #stairs.”

Students are accustomed to being social on the go, and this extends to all forms of transportation. Students already text on the go while skateboarding, biking, roller-skating and, most dangerously, driving.

People are becoming more aware of the danger of distracted driving thanks to the Florida Department of Transportation and national campaigns. But it’s one thing to hear information and another to put it into practice.

A new law in Florida that goes into effect Tuesday makes texting and driving illegal. It will be the 41st state to ban the act; however, Florida is in the minority in considering texting while driving only a secondary offense. This means that a driver would have to be pulled over for something else and would then be issued a citation for texting.

We’ve heard the campaigns and the staggering facts. Despite that, we’ve all tried to finish a text while hitting the gas, even though we know texting takes our eyes of the road for 4.6 seconds, enough to cause a tragedy, according to distraction.gov.

At this university, we’ve been inundated by facts, safety fairs and awareness events to help us realize the potential dangers of texting and driving, but statewide that’s not the case.

The state will not be granting funds for the FDOT to stage a major campaign to make the public aware of the law. Because we have been exposed to this information, we should be wise enough to change our habits.

It’s up to each driver to take personal responsibility and put the phone down. Life is more precious than a missed text, and it may be your life or the life of another that is at risk. It’s time to look up and face the world. I know it’s important to stay connected, but wait until you’re stationary to do so.

Ashley Martinez is a junior majoring in journalism and psychology.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...