Texting, driving should never mix

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez

Since school started, two people have fallen down the stairs right in front of me. Not because they are clumsy, but because they were texting. After asking if they were all right, my next thought was, “Was that text really that important?” I bet they’re Tweeting about it: “LOL just fell down the stairs #clumsy #onlyme #stairs.”

Students are accustomed to being social on the go, and this extends to all forms of transportation. Students already text on the go while skateboarding, biking, roller-skating and, most dangerously, driving.

People are becoming more aware of the danger of distracted driving thanks to the Florida Department of Transportation and national campaigns. But it’s one thing to hear information and another to put it into practice.

A new law in Florida that goes into effect Tuesday makes texting and driving illegal. It will be the 41st state to ban the act; however, Florida is in the minority in considering texting while driving only a secondary offense. This means that a driver would have to be pulled over for something else and would then be issued a citation for texting.

We’ve heard the campaigns and the staggering facts. Despite that, we’ve all tried to finish a text while hitting the gas, even though we know texting takes our eyes of the road for 4.6 seconds, enough to cause a tragedy, according to distraction.gov.

At this university, we’ve been inundated by facts, safety fairs and awareness events to help us realize the potential dangers of texting and driving, but statewide that’s not the case.

The state will not be granting funds for the FDOT to stage a major campaign to make the public aware of the law. Because we have been exposed to this information, we should be wise enough to change our habits.

It’s up to each driver to take personal responsibility and put the phone down. Life is more precious than a missed text, and it may be your life or the life of another that is at risk. It’s time to look up and face the world. I know it’s important to stay connected, but wait until you’re stationary to do so.

Ashley Martinez is a junior majoring in journalism and psychology.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...