Sports Briefs 9/30

Soccer

The Hurricanes traveled to Tallahassee, Fla., looking to stage another upset of the Seminoles. Miami  toppled then-No. 1 Florida State in 2012, but dropped last Thursday’s match 4-0.

FSU (9-0-2),  now ranked third, had scored three goals by halftime and allowed Miami (6-4-0) just one shot the entire night.

Coach Mary-Frances Monroe was disappointed, and said the Canes “have to stay plugged in for the entire 30 minutes.”

Miami returns home to face Notre Dame at noon Sunday.

Volleyball

Miami opened its conference schedule with two road wins this past weekend.

The Canes improved to 9-3 with a come-from-behind effort against Boston College and an easier victory over Syracuse.

Boston College took the first set on Saturday 25-23, and then won a marathon second set 34-32. But Miami battled back, grabbing the next two sets 25-14 and 25-19. The Canes clinched the comeback 15-11 in the fifth.Miami departed Chestnut Hill for Syracuse, and then won in four sets Sunday afternoon. Next up on the road trip is Clemson, followed by Georgia Tech.

Cross Country

Thirteen Miami runners competed at the Charlotte Invitational, including seven men in the 8000m and six women in the 6000m. Lindsi Arrington was the Hurricanes’ best finisher, placing 13th overall. 

Miami was without its oldest veteran, as senior Sean Pezzulo was not in attendance.  The men placed five runners in the top 100 out of a field of 198.  With a little over a month before conference, we need improvement from everyone to reach our goals,” assistant coach Damon Griffiths said.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...