Sports Briefs 9/30

Soccer

The Hurricanes traveled to Tallahassee, Fla., looking to stage another upset of the Seminoles. Miami  toppled then-No. 1 Florida State in 2012, but dropped last Thursday’s match 4-0.

FSU (9-0-2),  now ranked third, had scored three goals by halftime and allowed Miami (6-4-0) just one shot the entire night.

Coach Mary-Frances Monroe was disappointed, and said the Canes “have to stay plugged in for the entire 30 minutes.”

Miami returns home to face Notre Dame at noon Sunday.

Volleyball

Miami opened its conference schedule with two road wins this past weekend.

The Canes improved to 9-3 with a come-from-behind effort against Boston College and an easier victory over Syracuse.

Boston College took the first set on Saturday 25-23, and then won a marathon second set 34-32. But Miami battled back, grabbing the next two sets 25-14 and 25-19. The Canes clinched the comeback 15-11 in the fifth.Miami departed Chestnut Hill for Syracuse, and then won in four sets Sunday afternoon. Next up on the road trip is Clemson, followed by Georgia Tech.

Cross Country

Thirteen Miami runners competed at the Charlotte Invitational, including seven men in the 8000m and six women in the 6000m. Lindsi Arrington was the Hurricanes’ best finisher, placing 13th overall. 

Miami was without its oldest veteran, as senior Sean Pezzulo was not in attendance.  The men placed five runners in the top 100 out of a field of 198.  With a little over a month before conference, we need improvement from everyone to reach our goals,” assistant coach Damon Griffiths said.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...