Football, Sports

Nonconference schedule ends with blowout

Sophomore Duke Johnson (8) avoids a USF defender during the game Saturday afternoon in Tampa. The Canes won 49 to 21. Photo courtesy Tony Gordon for the USF Oracle.

out of my way: Sophomore Duke Johnson (8) throws a stiff arm to the face of a South Florida defender. Johnson scored a touchdown for the eighth straight week as Miami beat the Bulls 49-21. He finished with 84 rushing yards, but had a 100-yard return called back.
Photo courtesy Tony Gordon for the USF Oracle.

Stephen Morris posted his highest offensive output of the year on Saturday – and he only lasted 18 minutes.

The Canes rolled past South Florida 49-21, giving Miami its first 4-0 start since 2004.

Morris was 11-of-16 passing for 222 yards and two touchdowns. He displayed pinpoint accuracy with an off-balance throw that snuck into the back of the end zone, where Stacy Coley made the grab with his toes inbounds.

The Canes led 21-7 at that point.

Backup quarterback Ryan Williams took over mid-drive in the second quarter after Morris injured his ankle.

The senior has now made early departures in back-to-back games. Coach Al Golden said Morris was removed mostly for precautionary reasons.

Plus, the offense had scored on its first three possessions, which made Golden’s decision easier.

“We protected him well,” Golden said. “He started to get hit a little bit there, the last touchdown, and it was time to get him out and move on to Ryan. He [Morris] kept saying that he was good, but we had enough lead, I thought, that we could move on.”

Duke Johnson scored on a 4-yard run before halftime to extend his touchdown streak to eight games. He rushed for 84 yards before freshman Gus Edwards got the bulk of Miami’s carries in the second half.

“Stephen did an unbelievable job for the lack of practice that he had,” Golden said, noting that Morris missed time recovering from the first ankle injury. “I thought he was efficient. I thought we ran the ball really well. I thought we called a good game early on, and I thought the USF defense settled down after that first 15, which I was concerned about coming off the bye week.”

Though they built a big lead, the Canes were sloppy with the football. Johnson had two uncharacteristic fumbles near the goal line, and Miami had four turnovers overall.

The Hurricanes also committed seven penalties, one of which negated a 100-yard kick return.

Steven Bench, South Florida’s sophomore quarterback, was unable to execute against Miami’s tough defense.

The transfer from Penn State was constantly under pressure, and he deferred to running back Marcus Shaw much of the time.

“It was a situation where we saw a couple things that we wanted to go after, and part of the pressure was the realization that they really want to be a running team,” Golden said.

Shaw slashed his way to 127 yards on 20 carries, but could not carry the offense alone.

The defensive highlight for the Canes came when Shayon Green wrestled Bench to the ground in his own end zone. Bench fumbled on his way down, and Jimmy Gaines recovered for a Miami touchdown.

It was 35-7 at halftime, and two scoring drives in the third quarter left no doubt as to the outcome.

Golden, whose Hurricanes have not yet trailed in a game this season, has engineered six straight wins dating back to last year.

The Bulls were the final nonconference challengers on the Hurricanes’ schedule. ACC play begins Saturday against Georgia Tech.

The Yellow Jackets – perhaps Miami’s strongest threat to a Coastal Division title – have already played three conference games.

They fell to Virginia Tech this past Thursday.

Kickoff between No. 14 Miami (4-0) and Georgia Tech (3-1, 2-1 ACC) is set for 3:30 p.m. at Sun Life Stadium.

Upcoming Games

Saturday vs. Georgia Tech

3:30 p.m. at Sun Life Stadium (ESPNU)

Oct. 17 at North Carolina

Kickoff TBA; Chapel Hill, N.C. (ESPN)

Oct. 26 vs. Wake Forest

Kickoff TBA

Employee Day at Sun Life Stadium

Spencer Dandes

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...