Football, Sports

Nonconference schedule ends with blowout

Sophomore Duke Johnson (8) avoids a USF defender during the game Saturday afternoon in Tampa. The Canes won 49 to 21. Photo courtesy Tony Gordon for the USF Oracle.

out of my way: Sophomore Duke Johnson (8) throws a stiff arm to the face of a South Florida defender. Johnson scored a touchdown for the eighth straight week as Miami beat the Bulls 49-21. He finished with 84 rushing yards, but had a 100-yard return called back.
Photo courtesy Tony Gordon for the USF Oracle.

Stephen Morris posted his highest offensive output of the year on Saturday – and he only lasted 18 minutes.

The Canes rolled past South Florida 49-21, giving Miami its first 4-0 start since 2004.

Morris was 11-of-16 passing for 222 yards and two touchdowns. He displayed pinpoint accuracy with an off-balance throw that snuck into the back of the end zone, where Stacy Coley made the grab with his toes inbounds.

The Canes led 21-7 at that point.

Backup quarterback Ryan Williams took over mid-drive in the second quarter after Morris injured his ankle.

The senior has now made early departures in back-to-back games. Coach Al Golden said Morris was removed mostly for precautionary reasons.

Plus, the offense had scored on its first three possessions, which made Golden’s decision easier.

“We protected him well,” Golden said. “He started to get hit a little bit there, the last touchdown, and it was time to get him out and move on to Ryan. He [Morris] kept saying that he was good, but we had enough lead, I thought, that we could move on.”

Duke Johnson scored on a 4-yard run before halftime to extend his touchdown streak to eight games. He rushed for 84 yards before freshman Gus Edwards got the bulk of Miami’s carries in the second half.

“Stephen did an unbelievable job for the lack of practice that he had,” Golden said, noting that Morris missed time recovering from the first ankle injury. “I thought he was efficient. I thought we ran the ball really well. I thought we called a good game early on, and I thought the USF defense settled down after that first 15, which I was concerned about coming off the bye week.”

Though they built a big lead, the Canes were sloppy with the football. Johnson had two uncharacteristic fumbles near the goal line, and Miami had four turnovers overall.

The Hurricanes also committed seven penalties, one of which negated a 100-yard kick return.

Steven Bench, South Florida’s sophomore quarterback, was unable to execute against Miami’s tough defense.

The transfer from Penn State was constantly under pressure, and he deferred to running back Marcus Shaw much of the time.

“It was a situation where we saw a couple things that we wanted to go after, and part of the pressure was the realization that they really want to be a running team,” Golden said.

Shaw slashed his way to 127 yards on 20 carries, but could not carry the offense alone.

The defensive highlight for the Canes came when Shayon Green wrestled Bench to the ground in his own end zone. Bench fumbled on his way down, and Jimmy Gaines recovered for a Miami touchdown.

It was 35-7 at halftime, and two scoring drives in the third quarter left no doubt as to the outcome.

Golden, whose Hurricanes have not yet trailed in a game this season, has engineered six straight wins dating back to last year.

The Bulls were the final nonconference challengers on the Hurricanes’ schedule. ACC play begins Saturday against Georgia Tech.

The Yellow Jackets – perhaps Miami’s strongest threat to a Coastal Division title – have already played three conference games.

They fell to Virginia Tech this past Thursday.

Kickoff between No. 14 Miami (4-0) and Georgia Tech (3-1, 2-1 ACC) is set for 3:30 p.m. at Sun Life Stadium.

Upcoming Games

Saturday vs. Georgia Tech

3:30 p.m. at Sun Life Stadium (ESPNU)

Oct. 17 at North Carolina

Kickoff TBA; Chapel Hill, N.C. (ESPN)

Oct. 26 vs. Wake Forest

Kickoff TBA

Employee Day at Sun Life Stadium

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...