Keep WVUM and TMH strong by voting

On Monday, WVUM and The Miami Hurricane are asking you to vote for us. We are asking you to vote yes to raise our student activity fee by $6. Three dollars of that total will be allocated to help TMH continue publishing on a semi-weekly basis and assist us to keep producing our award-winning publication.

Students depend on The Miami Hurricane for information and entertainment. They look for our print version every Monday and Thursday in the stands. They pick up our papers to not only keep up with the campus, but also to check out V’s latest wise words.

And, when it’s not Monday and Thursday, The Miami Hurricane’s website and social media feeds are sizzling with new information and content. Now, more than ever, The Miami Hurricane is covering campus news, trends and sports in the most creative manner possible. We have blogs, podcasts, interactive features on our website like our recently launched TMHtv, visually appealing photo slideshows and virtual editions of our most recent editions. And, it’s just the beginning of the semester – just imagine what else we have planned for the school year. Spoiler alert: One includes a redesign and the other has to do with mobile devices.

And, on another important note, TMH documents campus history and keeps a record of traditions and trends.

It’s no secret newspapers have suffered during the economic downturn and the rise of the Internet. TMH has suffered bottom-line losses for the last four years because of dramatic decreases in advertising revenues, not only because of the tough economic times, but also because of the reduction in SAFAC student organization ad funding.

In order to address these losses, we have reduced our staff’s payroll, and we’ve cut our press run from 10,000 to 8,000. We’ve taken many other measures, too, and fortunately we have been able to cover the shortfalls to a breakeven point thanks to a small reserve fund built up over the last 20 years when ad revenues were better. At this point, however, we are getting close to tapping out that fund, and what’s to come after that point is unknown.

While some administrators have mentioned the possibility of cutting back The Hurricane to a weekly publication, we strongly feel that it is unacceptable for a top-50 institution to only have one student newspaper that publishes on just a weekly basis.

After researching the matter in Richter Library’s archives, TMH has not asked for any increase in student activity fee funding for at least 30 years. And, as best we can tell, it might actually be around 50 years since TMH asked for a fee increase.

You all count on TMH and WVUM. So now we’re counting on you. Vote yes to help out TMH and WVUM.

Stephanie Parra is a senior majoring in journalism and political science.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...