Keep WVUM and TMH strong by voting

Student Government elections begin Monday, and this semester, the ballot includes a referendum to increase the student activity fee for two of the largest student media outlets on campus, The Miami Hurricane and WVUM. If it passes, $6 per student will be allocated to and shared between the two organizations.

Our student-run radio station, WVUM 90.5 FM “The Voice of the University of Miami,” reflects the tenacity and inventiveness of UM’s student body. It was started in 1967 as an underground radio station formed by a group of engineering students in Mahoney Residential College. Now, WVUM broadcasts the latest news, independent music, public affairs and sports programming.

WVUM plans to renovate its entire studio and update equipment, which has been in use since the ‘70s. Although everyone at the station has a strong affinity for anything retro, we hope that having access to a more modern, reliable system would mean an improved listening experience for Miami drivers and online streamers internationally.

WVUM is a home for students who play, discover and get involved with the music, news and sports communities in Miami. And it has sprung about fascinating creations. Senior Edith Mora has been DJing at the station for a year and was inspired by the funk and soul hits that we play on our station. She started a specialty show called Rework, in which she plays, edits and remixes ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s dance masterpieces.

Even newcomers who have just started working at the station understand that the station invites a certain kind of intimacy and unique experience. Junior Andres Estrada, who joined this semester, said, “Everyone is working together very closely to make everything work, so it allows you to know people in a way that other kinds of organizations could not provide.”

WVUM has received recognition throughout the years, including the 2011 mtvU Woodie Award for Best College Radio Station in the country. But more importantly, it serves as a gateway for students to achieve their dream jobs as writers, broadcasters, DJs, agents and editors in an industry that is rapidly shifting.

The word “referendum” is the gerund of the Latin verb refero, meaning “bringing back” – as in “bringing the question back to the people.” So we bring our question back to you, readers and listeners, and we hope your answer is yes.

Natasha Mijares is a junior majoring in creative writing.

Natasha Mijares

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...