Photo

ISA celebrates Garba, culture

The Fieldhouse at Bank United Center was bursting with Indian tradition Friday night. The UM's Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. Men and women twirled around the room all night long, the spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded their most beautiful Sari, Ghagra Choli and Salwars and everyone enjoyed delicious indian cuisine. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

The University of Miami’s Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. The event took place at the Fieldhouse at the BankUnited Center. Men and women twirled around the room all night. The spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded around in their sarees, ghagra cholis and salwars. Indian food was also served at the event. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Attendees dance at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Mannat Mittal, 5, poses for a picture at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Monica Herndon

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...