Photo

ISA celebrates Garba, culture

The Fieldhouse at Bank United Center was bursting with Indian tradition Friday night. The UM's Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. Men and women twirled around the room all night long, the spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded their most beautiful Sari, Ghagra Choli and Salwars and everyone enjoyed delicious indian cuisine. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

The University of Miami’s Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. The event took place at the Fieldhouse at the BankUnited Center. Men and women twirled around the room all night. The spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded around in their sarees, ghagra cholis and salwars. Indian food was also served at the event. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Attendees dance at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Mannat Mittal, 5, poses for a picture at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Monica Herndon

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...