Photo

ISA celebrates Garba, culture

The Fieldhouse at Bank United Center was bursting with Indian tradition Friday night. The UM's Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. Men and women twirled around the room all night long, the spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded their most beautiful Sari, Ghagra Choli and Salwars and everyone enjoyed delicious indian cuisine. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

The University of Miami’s Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. The event took place at the Fieldhouse at the BankUnited Center. Men and women twirled around the room all night. The spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded around in their sarees, ghagra cholis and salwars. Indian food was also served at the event. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Attendees dance at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Mannat Mittal, 5, poses for a picture at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Monica Herndon

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...