Photo

ISA celebrates Garba, culture

The Fieldhouse at Bank United Center was bursting with Indian tradition Friday night. The UM's Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. Men and women twirled around the room all night long, the spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded their most beautiful Sari, Ghagra Choli and Salwars and everyone enjoyed delicious indian cuisine. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

The University of Miami’s Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. The event took place at the Fieldhouse at the BankUnited Center. Men and women twirled around the room all night. The spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded around in their sarees, ghagra cholis and salwars. Indian food was also served at the event. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Attendees dance at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Mannat Mittal, 5, poses for a picture at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Monica Herndon

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...