Photo

ISA celebrates Garba, culture

The Fieldhouse at Bank United Center was bursting with Indian tradition Friday night. The UM's Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. Men and women twirled around the room all night long, the spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded their most beautiful Sari, Ghagra Choli and Salwars and everyone enjoyed delicious indian cuisine. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

The University of Miami’s Indian Students Association and Hindu Students Council welcomed students to dance Garba, a traditional dance performed around a centrally lit lamp or statue of the Goddess Shakti. The event took place at the Fieldhouse at the BankUnited Center. Men and women twirled around the room all night. The spiritual dance is performed in a circle to symbolize the Hindu view of time. The night was colorful as women paraded around in their sarees, ghagra cholis and salwars. Indian food was also served at the event. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Attendees dance at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Mannat Mittal, 5, poses for a picture at Garba on Friday night. Michelle Brener // Contributing Photographer

Monica Herndon

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...