Community, Edge, Music

Festival Miami to feature diverse artists, genres

For the Frost School of Music, October marks the beginning of its biggest event of the year: the highly anticipated Festival Miami. Festival Miami is a month-long music festival centered around four themes: “Great Performances,” “Jazz and Beyond,” “Creative American Music” and “Music of the Americas.” The festival includes performances by both students and professionals, and often has them sharing the stage, making it an ideal time to see what the Frost School has to offer.

This year’s festival consists of a variety of genres, including jazz, salsa, opera, tango, blues and classical, and features big names such as Mark O’Connor and Luis Enrique. If you’re overwhelmed by the long list of events coming to campus, check out The Miami Hurricane’s list of must-see shows.

Emerging Composers – Competition Winners

8 P.M. Oct. 8 | Clarke Recital Hall | Tickets: Free admission; ticket required

The winners of the 2013 Emerging Composers Competition will be debuting their original pieces in this can’t-miss performance. Winners were selected by Frost school faculty and include Liza Seigido, Jackson Parodi, Richard Yates, Daniel Choi, Mathew Evan Taylor, David Mendoza, Rodgrigo Bussad, Ben Morris, Spencer Robelen and Rachel Dean. Be sure to pick up your free ticket and come support your fellow University of Miami students.

Luis Enrique – Romantic Salsa at Its Best

8 P.M. Oct. 12 | UM Gusman Concert Hall | Tickets: $40 to $60

Nicaraguan singer Luis Enrique is bringing his romantic flair to UM on Oct. 12. Nicknamed “El Principe de la Salsa,” many may recognize his 2009 hit “Yo No Se Manana,” along with his other Grammy award-winning music. Though tickets are on the pricier side, this experienced and well-respected musician is sure to put on a show audiences will fall in love with.

Fiddles on Fire – Featuring Mark O’Connor and Glenn Basham

4 P.m. Oct. 13 | UM Gusman concert Hall | Tickets: $15 to $30

Check out this explosive combination of jazz, country and bluegrass as Frost School faculty member Glenn Basham teams up with country violinist Mark O’Connor. With Basham’s background in classical and jazz music and O’Connors’ expertise in country and bluegrass, the show promises to be unforgettable. The two will also be collaborating with some of Frost’s most talented fiddlers. Come and see what happens when three seemingly different genres collide.

Manhattan Piano Trio

8 P.M. Oct. 16 | UM Gusman Concert Hall | Tickets: $15 to $30

Don’t let the name fool you. The Manhattan Piano Trio actually consists of violinist Wayne Lee, cellist Sæunn Thorsteinsdottir and pianist Milana Strezeva. Since the formation of the trio in 2004, these three Juilliard grads have performed all over the world and are now sharing their passion and talent for classical music with us.  Along with pieces from their own repertoire, the concert will include original works by members of the Frost School faculty.

Ana Popovic – Blues Guitar Sensation

8 P.M. Oct. 19 | UM Gusman Concert Hall | Tickets: $20 to $40

You won’t want to miss Ana Popovic, a Yugoslavian artist who combines blues, jazz, soul, rock and funk to produce a sound all her own. With nine studio albums and two live records, the soulful singer is spreading her music worldwide. Check out her latest album “Can You Stand the Heat” and hear why you should come out for this one-of-a-kind musical event.

For more information, check out http://www.miami.edu/frost/index.php/festival_miami/ or call 305-284-4940

Marlee Lisker

Nayna Shah