Nothing more successful in a job hunt than actually being successful

MUG_Patrick Quinlan

Quinlan

In its Sept. 15 issue, The Miami Hurricane published an opinion piece by Taylor Duckett (“Networking Increases Job Options“), encouraging students to network, attend the upcoming career expo, and take advantage of the immeasurable resource that is the Toppel Career Center. But I fear that only relying on networks is a shallow artifice for quality employment.

It is certainly true that students should look at Toppel as more than just some of the best free T-shirts at Orientation, and I echo Duckett’s view on the importance of putting yourself out there.

I personally try to go through my resume with Toppel once a semester and already have scheduled appointments to discuss potential summer internships.

But at the same time, my reaction to the word “networking” would likely fall between having an 8 a.m. Friday class and the Canes losing to Marquette in last year’s Sweet 16.

There are two types of people in this world: those who are good at networking and those who are not. I am unapologetically the latter.

As I see it, networking, especially among peers, is nothing more than an artificial relationship or quid-pro-quo with fake smiles and firm handshakes hiding the furtive desperation of employment. The student keeps business cards for jobs that they will apply for with a boilerplate cover letter that the employer will glance at before likely discarding.

Instead, it is my maxim — or wishful thinking — that nothing breeds success like success: If you earn your job, you will be hired.

All of the networking in the world can’t replace a good GPA, sincere recommendations and a demonstrated and heartfelt passion to do a good job.

Patrick Quinlan is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science.

Patrick Quinlan

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...