Nothing more successful in a job hunt than actually being successful

MUG_Patrick Quinlan

Quinlan

In its Sept. 15 issue, The Miami Hurricane published an opinion piece by Taylor Duckett (“Networking Increases Job Options“), encouraging students to network, attend the upcoming career expo, and take advantage of the immeasurable resource that is the Toppel Career Center. But I fear that only relying on networks is a shallow artifice for quality employment.

It is certainly true that students should look at Toppel as more than just some of the best free T-shirts at Orientation, and I echo Duckett’s view on the importance of putting yourself out there.

I personally try to go through my resume with Toppel once a semester and already have scheduled appointments to discuss potential summer internships.

But at the same time, my reaction to the word “networking” would likely fall between having an 8 a.m. Friday class and the Canes losing to Marquette in last year’s Sweet 16.

There are two types of people in this world: those who are good at networking and those who are not. I am unapologetically the latter.

As I see it, networking, especially among peers, is nothing more than an artificial relationship or quid-pro-quo with fake smiles and firm handshakes hiding the furtive desperation of employment. The student keeps business cards for jobs that they will apply for with a boilerplate cover letter that the employer will glance at before likely discarding.

Instead, it is my maxim — or wishful thinking — that nothing breeds success like success: If you earn your job, you will be hired.

All of the networking in the world can’t replace a good GPA, sincere recommendations and a demonstrated and heartfelt passion to do a good job.

Patrick Quinlan is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science.

Patrick Quinlan

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...