Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

German film takes an inspiring view on history

A bio-pic focusing on a Jewish Journalist’s controversial articles on the Eichmann trials; Hannah Arendt could easily have turned into a sad memoir with self-indulgent, sentimental monologues. Instead, it delicately offers a glimpse into the logic that led Arendt to travel to Jerusalem, witness the Eichmann trials and write an article that caused resentment in her friends and uproar in the Jewish community.

While the storyline is disorienting in certain places, the lack of linear hand-holding is actually refreshing. Rather than explaining every background detail in the first five minutes, the script is natural and unforced. It has many instances of irrelevant, conversational lines that have no specific agenda in the story, but add significantly to the realistic, human quality. Examples include one character warning another not to run into a glass door.

These irrelevant lines are counterbalanced by details that are determinately intentional. The cigar smoke, for example, constantly circling above Arendt’s head, symbolizes her deep thoughts. When the intellectual discussion heats up during a party, everyone smokes, except for Hannah’s vapid friend who rushes to the other room waving her hands in the air complaining about the smoke.

Though the subject of the movie could not be more sober – writing about a man who was responsible for the death of 6 million Jews in WWII – the film’s execution is not depressing. The story is not one of a Jewish exile seeking catharsis, but rather of a philosopher seeking truth.

Hannah Arendt is the central character of the movie, but the movie does not insist on framing her as the heroine. No, she is merely the messenger of a larger story. A love story for truth, words and teaching. Rather than telling you what to think, the movie expects you to do your own research once the credits start rolling.

“Most of our readers don’t understand greek,” said the chief-editor for the New Yorker as he prepared Arendt’s articles for publication, to which she responded, “They should learn.” In the same way, the film does not expect ignorance in its audience but rather hopes to inspire learning.

What’s to love?

• The performance is so convincing, you forget Hannah Arendt is played by an actress.
  • The flow between English and German is seamless.
  • Clips from the original Eichmann trials are used.

If you go:

Where: Cosford Cinema

When: Oct. 1, 2013

Luisa Andonie

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...