Workouts are gender neutral

Girls go to the gym for one of three reasons: to meet guys, to stare at them from an optimal viewpoint on the cardio machines, or to actually workout. Many of those in the third category attend the Wellness Center’s exercise classes.

For attendees of these group exercise classes, a collection of the same sweaty faces becomes a constant in one’s life. But the appearance of college-aged guys in these workout classes is a rarity. Would this imply that workout classes are considered too “girly?”

I have been regularly attending, and now even teaching, classes at the Wellness Center for more than two years. In all of my visits to one of the toughest classes, high-intensity interval training, I had never seen a guy – until one brave soul appeared a few weeks ago.

He never would have gone without the persuasion of his girlfriend, who regularly takes the class. Now, ex-football player Eric Akre says that it is the best class that the Wellness Center offers.

“It trains your body to help lose fat and gain muscle, which is what most guys want to do,” he said. At the conclusion of the workout, he was lying in a puddle of sweat like the rest of us.

While many girls who are first-time attendees are hesitant about the difficulty of the classes, it seems like guys have the opposite view. They think classes will be too easy.

Senior Christopher Vail, for example, said he prefers using the machines because he has been working out for six years and thinks the classes are good for beginners.

But classes can provide students with tons of workout buddies who can be taken advantage of either as comrades or competition.

There are, in fact, cases where guys workout in group settings, whether they realize it or not. In the boxing club, males greatly outnumber females. But there is still guided instruction similar to workout classes.

Group exercise classes are a valuable resource for students of both genders looking to improve their strength and overall health. There is no need to wait for machines, and these classes provide the often-necessary motivation from an instructor. Sometimes you just need someone to yell at you.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...